General Lansing Development

Comments

• I just saw that today as well! I was excited hoping that it's a sign that work is about to begin.

In other news, the City Pulse had an article today about a new low income and market rate apartment building accross from the CATA station. Seems like an interesting idea to locate those with limited means next to public transportation. Can't say that I hate the idea. It also sounded like CATA was looking at an admin building adjacent to the site that also would include housing. Did anyone else see this article?
  • edited May 2023
    Looks like they uploaded the story just now. Interesting. Sounds like the retail strip at the corner will remain. The Housing Commission (LHC) will tear down the old Davenport campus. The CATA facility they said would front on Lenawee. Still trying to orient myself, though. The renderings aren't super helpful for that.

Like the general concept, particularly about CATA coming downtown across from its main hub. I'm sure having your administration next to your main garage has its advantages, but it's basically located in the middle of nowhere, so it did nothing for the surrounding neighborhood and community. Having headquarters next to the CTC, on the other hand, will mean they can more quickly address issues and improvements needed at their central hub.

My only criticism is a continued one: We're getting the same 4-story ceiling we seem to get on any new housing in town. And so close to the core, it seems like another missed opportunity and underutilization of prime space, downtown.
  • Yeah, I get that criticism. The problem is, once you pass 4 or 5 stories, you're into "high rise" territory per code. That ups the costs because of all the additional requirements. I'll take this over nothing, but it would be nice to see more density, and done well. Hopefully as they continue to add and fill housing, that will help to change the projects we're seeing.
  • That is good news. Sometimes it seems like these promised projects will never actually start. I am hoping this renovation will be at least as nice as the Homes Street School, which I think looks very nice.
  • There is an artical in the City Pulse about a plan to build housing and offices for CATA across from the Bus station. The project would include homeless persons services, with housing for them. There would also be low and market rate housing, and some retail space. Sounds like this has already being planned and may happen soon. It says that the strip mall with Baryames Cleaners would remain, OK but why? I have never seen that space fully leased and it is quite unremarkable for a downtown building. It will be good to see some of those empty parking lots developed.
  • gb, this is literally what we've talking about. lol
    The problem is, once you pass 4 or 5 stories, you're into "high rise" territory per code. That ups the costs because of all the additional requirements.

Oh, I know. I'm saying I'm disappointed by this greed, and that's what it is. Perhaps it may make sense for affordable housing, but for market rate stuff it's just them being greedy. You're having people pay $1,000-$2,000 rents for stick-built crap. No one is winning but the developers.
  • It's great to see more infill, even though it's more unremarkable 5 over 1 architecture I'm still happy to see it. I'm starting to realize how silly it was for me to expect residential high rises back before even the original Stadium District was built, I do think that we may be close to seeing bigger and better things given the amount of housing that's gone up around downtown in the past ten years and the ever decreasing number of vacant/underutilized buildings, it's a very different place now.

I am a little concerned about the project being done by the housing commission though, I have very, very little faith in LHC's ability to competently manage their housing. I'm happy see CATA executives potentially finding a home near the transit center, having more administrative people nearby should help things there. I'm not, however, excited about concentrating more homeless services to the Cherry Hill area, Jimho is about all this small neighborhood can take without really detrimental effects.
  • I'm starting to realize how silly it was for me to expect residential high rises back before even the original Stadium District was built
    I feel you. I remember being so excited and actually thinking that the Capital Club high rise was possible on Grand. Now I just expect the least, and that's pretty much what pans out.
  • I'll be super vague because I can't say too much on this, but I worked for someone for a short while that had the means and connections to build a 30 story tower in Lansing. They were adamant on it. They regularly met with city leaders. There was a lot of time and effort put into its development. Of course the project would always shrink and end up "work force" housing, but then the guy would read some article swaying them and go full force on the 30 story tower. They wanted the largest tower in Lansing.

That said, that has been in the works for over a decade and I haven't had contact with them for years. Pre-pandemic, they were still hard set on making it happen.

So, there are people out there that want to make a tower happen, but then they realize they can do low income housing and get a decent enough rate on their return. I keep hoping someday we'll get another real tower.
  • @Lymon89 I'm assuming that was the wealthy investment guy that was from Lansing and had a news story or two about him wanting to building something like that? I do hope he considers moving forward, I think the time is nearing where it isn't completely crazy. If things stay on the current path market forces alone may deliver us something similar in the not too distant future.

I think downtown just wasn't really ready for high or even mid-rises 10 or 15 years ago, even now I think we're just turning the corner now that most large vacant buildings have been remodeled along with seeing things as far afield as Stadium North actually happen and then these new proposals near Kalamazoo & Grand. If the national/global economy holds up I think we'll see a lot of stuff happening in the coming years.