General Lansing Development

Comments

• Another relatively slow month for development-related stuff - and I'm still not seeing anything for New Vision Lansing - but there appears to be a Brownfield Redevelopment plan for the old bar and neighboring Riverfront Cycle buildings at the northeast corner of Shiawassee and Cedar. The plan's not actually included in the packet, but maybe that's typical since this is just the project being brought to the council's attention by the mayor.
  • @MichMatters It's in there towards the end, there's renderings and floor plans included, it shows the side by the old Riverfront Cycle as leased. The costs are shown at a little over $1m so it should be a fairly extensive renovation for the building.
  • Ah, I see. I was searching "505 E. Shiawassee" it skipped my down to the resolution for it. lol

sioginkzqvkc.png

I like what they have planned in terms of aesthetics for 505; looks really tasteful. I hope they don't plan to do to 507 what is shown. If it needs changing at all, a coat of paint will do; no need for the crazy designs. But that's Gillespie for you. lol
  • Agreed on both counts regarding the looks of the buildings. I see what looks like a rooftop patio over the old Riverfront Cycle, that could be interesting.
  • Looks like the media is reporting tonight that the Lansing City Rescue Mission rezoning and special land use was approved.
  • edited October 2023
    Missed that we had a Planning Commission meeting this week. Looks like the most notable item was the Act 33 Review for the old Center for the Arts parking lot across from the bus station: Parking Lot #1 (P1). These are the reviews that happen when the city proposes selling or purchasing property, propose significant changes in use of city property, or closes and/or vacates a right-of-way. Anyway, looks like none of the city departments replied or had any objection to selling the surface lot. This is the one the Boji's are proposing a 4-or-5-story, 55-unit residential building for. I imagine the commission approved it easily.

What I found interesting was how much revenue collapsed for this parking lot according to the packet.

FY18: $116,319
    FY23: $6,790

Makes me wonder how much the revenue for other lots around downtown have fallen since the rise of COVID-19. Seems to me the State of Michigan has a hard time justifying the sheer amount of parking land use they have downtown...
  • edited October 2023
    Planning Commission did recommend approval of selling Lot 1. Although it didn't go through a bid process, Boji+LHC have been the only entities expressing interest in it.

I've only asked for revenue numbers for Lot 50 (Pere Marquette), Lot 1, and Lot 49 for the Act 33 staff report which are public record so.
    Lot 50: 2017 $12,187 | 2018 $13,565 | 2019 $14,099 | 2020 $8,878 | 2021 $1,951
    Lot 49 FY18 $62,696.01 | FY19 $71,487.99 | FY20 $49,072.00 | FY21 $9,017.00 | FY22 $5,939.00 | FY23 $5,798.00
    Lot 49A FY18 $20,667.00 | FY19 $17,957.00 | FY20 $25,809.00 | FY21 $3,462.00 | FY22 $1,268.00 | FY23 $1,732.00
  • Those numbers on the parking lots are painful to see.

The LSJ had an article on the Hepler development at Saginaw & Penn, not really any notable new info but worth a read:
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2023/10/08/harry-hepler-h-inc-development-saginaw-pennsylvania/71100483007/?fbclid=IwAR1sc6Tm5abZsJ2g3U6BocMk5FJxuZjOpQmoB0EGxu_RdVTR-1aly2Y2ErU
  • edited October 2023
    I'm going to keep asking, but what's going on with New Vision Lansing? As soon as it was announced, the council was talking about actions to vote on accepting the money from the state literally within the week or two after the announcement, and then just...nothing. Nothing from the EDC; nothing about the Act 33 Review for the air rights over Grand...

BTW, citykid, which law specifically deals with air rights in Michigan? I've never been able to find one; Act 33 doesn't seem to specifically use that term as far as I can find.
  • The status of New Vision has become a bit of a mystery hasn't it?

Is it dead in the water? Are they refining the proposal based on feedback from the city or the public? Did elements within city leadership that wanted to put out a request for proposals or split the money amongst developers gain ground?

On another construction-delay related note: Why did the mayor go out of his way to hold a ceremonial ground breaking for The Ovation when it was very clearly months or more away from any real work? I'm growing a little concerned about what might or might not be going on behind the scenes