General Lansing Development

Comments

• That's a wicked cool looking building.
  • Wow. Sounds like the good news keeps on coming. And yet John Pollard and a few others are already complaining. I mean there are a few valid points to some stuff they say about tax abatements and etc but the good has always been outweighing the bad from what I believe in much of these developments. Its like some people would rather have nothing new ever come about to the city unless its completely on their own terms (which is never). Plus, it sounds like there would still be the same amount of city parking afterwards, which is nice.
    I thought I just read that about the Hunters Ridge development last night. I'm still not sure how I feel about it other than to say that much of the complaints/problems were likely entirely solvable such as the traffic congestion and etc. Like you said LMich, its mostly just a cop out. But at least its not like the land is really going anywhere. There are always people that will oppose development. I'm not saying that there aren't perfectly justifiable reasons to sometimes, but as you said yourself, there were times when Lansing didn't seem like it could compete and Lansing was lucky when it rarely got a big project. This quote may seem off topic or non-applicable because of where it comes from, but I when I look at Lansing's future and what it is and will take to get there, I reminded of it: "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Ghandi
  • bilde?Site=A3&Date=20071023&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=710230364&Ref=AR&Profile=1004&MaxW=500&MaxH=500&title=1

LSJ Midday Update - New life coming to vacant downtown lot

I'm liking the look of this project, it's setback a bit further from the street than what I would like. I really, really like the timeline, mid 2009 completion, that means construction should be beginning in just a few months.
  • edited October 2007
    I think the setback is actually appropriate for this one as it will be an honest-to-goodness gateway project to an up-and-coming district. Setting it back allows meeting space at the front, and better prominence for the structure. I'm really liking the use of the roof.

Now, if the city can just get the man that owns the old warehouse down the street to FINALLY clean up his property, at least. It's been nearly a year, and not one brick has been moved. I'm not asking he renovate the thing, but at least clean-up the fallen bricks on site so this doesn't look so much like a warzone.
  • I just drove by there the other day for the first time in 6 months or so, and was really surprised to see that it hasn't changed at all. Apart from some additional graffiti that is.
  • I hate to take a potshot at my birth city, but allowing this site to be uncleaned reminds me of Detroit. Why they haven't even ordered a start to the clean-up is beyond me. I'll have to email a few people at city hall about this.
  • I seen in an article the other day that he was having a dispute with his insurance company.
  • edited October 2007
    That was in the paper, today, I believe, but I don't think that effectively explains why he hasn't even began the clean-up.
  • Which warehouse is that? Is it the one on Kalamazoo by the tracks that burned last year?
  • Yes, the one that was supposed to be turned into an art colony (or whatever they called it).