General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Oh, your right. However I have always hoped to see a future expansion under Aurelius into Crego Park. As you said there is also public land on the North and South, but also a nice sized private lot at Aurelius & MT. Hope that I think would serve as a nicer entrance.

Also, it looks like there is a small building proposed on the NW corner of Capitol & Saginaw, no more details beyond this listing: 709 N Capitol
  • As for the Hunters Ridge proposal the neighbors there are making the same NIMBY complaints as you see all over. My favorite is the complaint about traffic. People act like these 123 units will lead to gridlock on their streets. Of course these same people who oppose anything happening around them are usually the same ones who criticize there cities for decaying and showing no signs of progress.
  • Yeah I find people who complain like that laughable. Especially in an area like that, a mediocre neighborhood of nicer, newer houses. Property owners there stand to benifit a lot from this development, this might be the push this neighborhood needs to get back on the right track.
  • I love the area around Aurelius and Mt Hope. I think cemeteries are great and it's nice to see them finally fixing (really they are replacing) the fence for Mt Hope Cemetery. It was looking pretty bad. I live about a mile south of Potter Park and I think that would be a nice entrance there as well.
  • I find the Hunter's Ridge story in the Pulse ridiculous, myself. Increased housing density is what's going to save this city. I'd actually have liked to have seen the developer gone through with his denser proposal. People seem to forget that they live in a city. Development in an urban city, even along its fringes, is to be expected.
  • This from the upcoming city council meeting's agenda:

"Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act (OPRA) District Application filed by The Gillespie Company, L.L.C. on behalf of Michigan Avenue Investors, LLC for property located at 1609-1615 E. Michigan Ave."

This is the building that used to have Riders Hobby Shop and Letts Bridal, I have no idea what they could be planning here.
  • I can't either, but I'm very happy to see it soon to be renovated. It's been a huge hole in that retail district for some time know, especially considering how everything else around it, specifically to the east, has been largely revitalized.
  • More big news....

New Entertainment Zone Planned For Lansing

WILX - TV 10
    Posted: 10:19 PM Oct 15, 2007
    Last Updated: 10:19 PM Oct 15, 2007
    Reporter: John Tramontana
    Email Address: john.tramontana@wilx.com

It's a project that's been nearly 10 months in the making. A new development for downtown Lansing will feature condos and office space overlooking Oldsmobile park.

"We want to take advantage of the views of the ballpark."

Project developer Pat Gillespie of the Gillespie Group bought the land from the city and will split it into two sections. One is the ballpark north project that will be up to five buildings over four acres..

"Anywhere from two to six stories is what we have planned right now," Gillespie said.

Those buildings will include corporate office space, condos, and retail shops. Just across the street another site is planned. This one along the waterfront.

"We'd like to look at a couple different venues as far as restaurants, retail, and housing. All maximizing waterfront views."

A day spa is in the works too. The focus is to make the district a new entertainment zone for Lansing. Gillespie says too much of the city's waterfront is wasted on parking lots and this will help to take advantage of some of the city's natural beauty.

"We're looking at the waterfront and trying to maximize what everyone seems to be clamoring for, which is people after 5:00 on the water in downtown."

Gillespie plans to unveil all the details for the site on Tuesday at 1 pm at the City Market. He hopes to break ground on the project sometime next fall once the businesses are secured.
  • edited October 2007
    I really can't be too sure where exactly this will be, but I'm thinking it will be on that land north of the ballbark where the city garage is and maybe where City Market is. I'll be patiently waiting to see "all the details" tomorrow...

Also, the Michigan & Washington intersection is set to reopen on wednesday, and the Washington & Kalamazoo intersection is to reopen next week. Downtown will be finally nearing normal again.
  • edited October 2007
    On the news they kept showing pictures of a lot of the rundown buildings behind the stadium, and oddly, pictures of the Lansing City Market. They didn't say anything about the market land being part of the purchase, but they sure implied it with the footage they showed.

They said the traffic circle will open on Wednesday, but is there any indication when the fountain will be finished? I mean, at this rate, there isn't any point getting it done fast because they're going to have to shut it down for the winter. Are we not to expect it until spring?