General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Any other details on progress or anything on Coleman Corners and Abood's project?
  • From what I hear the city is trying to get Abood to include ground floor retail on his Coleman Corners project. If the city forces him to have retail I wouldn't be surprised if it kills the project. Do we know if the residential will be rentals or for sale units? It seems like the for sale residential units in that area aren't moving too well, so I wouldn't be surprised if these end up being predominantly rental units.

Where on Abbott Road is the "Rockwood" project?
  • Here is where the "Rockwood" project is located:

547b1b46-34f9-41f6-b792-c643dfd6292a_17008b14-afd0-4c98-a3dd-45175c0882ee_static_0_0_2008-01-24_2048.png
  • Alas, no Trader Joe's in East Lansing.

See the LSJ story.
  • Don't know if this development has a thread yet, but I was at Cornerstone today on Grand River near Harrison, and there's what appears to be a large apartment/condo development going up right behind (to the south of) it. It's somewhat obstructed from the street by the trees, but incredibly obvious once you venture into the Cornerstone parking lot. Anyone know anything?
  • Yeah, the development was discussed earlier. Joseph Goodsir is the developer and is building a new 3-story apartment building containing 24 three-bedroom units with two floors of underground parking to accommodate 72 vehicles. The site is zoned RM-32 City Center Multiple Family Residential. Three residential buildings were torn down to clear the site.
  • edited March 2008
    the lsj is reporting that the city of east lansing and peoples church have agreed to a two-story parking ramp on the current site of the parking lot for peoples church. the first level will be half underground and exclusive to the peoples church, and the second level will be open to the cities use most of the time.

no mention of when construction would begin or estimated completion time. but since this is just moving out of the planning commission, it will still have to go before the city council and could take probably a couple more months before a site plan is finished.
  • I'm glad they've come to a compromise, but seriously, two level parking garages are almost a waste of space. They're better than surface lots, but still. At least go three.
  • Considering that I thought they'd be keeping it a surface lot forever, this was great to hear. It would have been nice, though, if they'd found some way to partner with another developer and have some small alternative usage atop the ramp to kind of book everything in in West Village/City Center II.
  • edited March 2008
    Per the State News, it looks like the old Country Markett (2nd "t" added intentionally) site may have a new resident on its way. The East Lansing Food Co-Op is considering a move into that location, and I think it'd be great considering there don't seem to many takers.

Also, Spartan Gyro, which took over the old Taco Bell site after their move into Stonehouse I, is already out of business. I feel bad for whoever started that place, but I don't know anyone who gave it a shot at lasting all that long.