General Lansing Development

Comments

• I managed to get rid of most of the glare; here's DBI:
    DBI.jpg

Cedar St School
    CedarStSchool.jpg
  • It sounds like the old Cedar Street School in Old Town just south of the old Temple Club is being redeveloped into medical offices and the new location for ThreadBear (a knitting/yarn store). It's supposed to have a physical therapy/rehab practice, a rooftop garden, a juice bar, and be "green". I'm very excited about the prospect of an existing building being made more environmentally friendly - reminds me of something I read recently: the "greenest" building is the one that's already built.
  • edited July 2008
    Has anyone noticed the major expansion of the house-store at 1606 East Michigan Avenue? It's impossible to miss as it's three stories (now) and painted a very vivid blue, and right next door to the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Marshall/Allen and Michigan. It's an old appliance store (Rapid Appliance Service), but I'm not exactly sure what it's being renovated for.
  • Yeah, I saw it too, but I'm not sure what's going on there either.
  • Also, drove by DBI on Michigan just west of Penn and they already have the scaffold up over the sidewalk
  • Yeah I've noticed the work at the old appliance store as well but am not quite sure what's going on either. You're right that it is getting bigger though. That said though its all added onto the front of a house I think, and I wish there weren't so many places, especially on Michigan Ave, where they're businesses ran out of houses or storefronts built onto houses etc.
  • Curious to know if anyone has any info on the Mobile gas station at the corner of Michigan and Larch? Its right across from the Stadium District and I was in one of the condos that overlook it and noticed that the roof had caved in and there is debri everywhere. Lets hope it gets put on the market... that is prime real estate and would definitely qualify for Brownfields.
  • Yeah, currently it is just being used as a parking lot for Lugnuts games, and not an efficient one at that. At the worst case, I would like to see it turned into an urban park, with benches and tables, that would support a larger development.
  • edited July 2008
    I've been wondering about the old gas station, myself. It's been vacant for, what, a year or two, now? The problem is that I'm not sure if the owner is marketing it, because I'd think that would have been instantly purchased if it was on the market. I only assume this because I don't see any real-estate signs showing that the land is for sell on the property.

Also, it looks like the Old Town Medical Arts Building project (Old Cedar Street School behind the Temple Club) is moving forward. There is the signage, out front, listing all of those involved in the project.

Finally, lost of the news was the start of the expansion of the main runway at Capital Region International. At 8,500 feet, it will be one of the longer runways at a commercial airport in Michigan:

DeWitt Road Closure Starts Monday for Expansion of the Main Runway at the Capital Region International Airport
  • I seen something in last weeks building permits about some repairs to that property, not sure what though. I just wish they would tear it down and put it on the market.