Marketplace

Comments

• I just returned from the city council meeting. There were more supporters than opponents and frankly, a couple of the opponents shouted things about destroying a superfund site and ruining our water and how ruining the water was causing abortions and that's why we don't have enough 30-40 year olds for jobs in Lansing. Not to say there weren't a fair number of intelligent people against it, but frankly most of them were based mostly in how they feel and nostalgia. Will the council see this...or am I way off, we'll see!

I was happy to see quite a few major endoresements though, Rick Pruess of Pruess pets, a guy I pretty sure identified himself as the manager of the Allen Street market, Gene Townsend, a couple of local companies who did work (bricks, electrical) for the Stadium District took head on the charge that local labor won't/hasn't been used by Gillespie and on and on. Also, quite a few "young professionals" showed up talking about how this type of development is necessary to pull people like them in (not one was against).

Seriously though, word from others is that other developers are watching the vote as a kind of litmus test for the reception in Lansing to development. I've heard that a person who's put down a deposit for an entire floor of the Capitol Club is watching this vote and may back out is this doesn't go through. So really, if you feel at all strongly about this, you need to contact council members in some manor to voice support. The vote is currently scheduled for a week from today (next Monday). So now I'll end my campainging since I'm preaching almost entirely to the choir here.
  • Preaching to the choir indeed. I was there too. I really should have spoke but didn't prepare to and the meeting lasted 4 and a half hours even with reducing speaking time to two minutes instead of the usual 3 for people. Also I thought I'd note there was actually quite a divide in terms of the people for and against it (slightly more for) with an obvious bias on both sides. Like you said micro many of the people against it had nostalgia and "if it aint broke don't fix it" mindsets though on the other hand several of the people for it were Gillespie employees or connected to them in some way or another. And of course several of the "young professionals" were people who have moved into the stadium district and etc but that should tell the council something right there. Its not that these are the only type of people that Lansing is courting but officials and those against the development should see that to gain and retain such residents as well as to breathe new life into things like the market and downtown itself that changes have to be made. I'm not entirely stating a one sided opinion on this as I do agree with some (keyword) things that the people against it feel as well as perhaps more details needing to be made known and questions answered, but many people against do not seem to be looking at the entire scope of things. This is about more than just a building. This is about Lansing's future...
  • edited August 2008
    Quite frankly, I think the paper's title for the article, yesterday, was a bit misleading and thus irresponsible. There is absolutely nothing that would give anyone the idea that they aren't going to pass this. I'm also a little leery about these over-dramatic responses (i.e. Lansing's future is teetering in the balance). This will pass, but even in the off chance that it did not, this is one development and a rather complicated one because it involves public lands/buildings. It would hardly be the end of downtown development in Lansing, no matter how dramatic Mr. Gillespie wants to make it to be.

I'm getting a bad feeling that there are some employees of the developer, here, trying to gin up support (support that is already there, anyway) with fear-mongering.

So, let's take a deep breath, come back down to reality, and discuss this rationally without all of the drama.
  • "I'm getting a bad feeling that there are some employees of the developer, here, trying to gin up support (support that is already there, anyway) with fear-mongering."

I'm guessing that's at least in part directed at me. I'll come right out and say I am a microbiologist (micro) at Emergent BioSolutions and don't work for Gillespie.

And honestly, I don't think that this project is a fair one to use as a "litmus test" for reception to development. Regardless of which side somone is on, being that the City Market is involved there's no way to say that there isn't some controversy beyond a normal development project. If the Capitol Club fell through that would be a more fair project to consider. But regardless of if I or anyone thinks this is a good project for a litmus test, from what I've heard other developers are looking to this project as I said. Maybe it is Gillespie people spreading that word around without any basis, I can't for sure say that isn't the case, but it was stated by the head of LEAP last night at the council meeting as well.
  • I dont think that the future of Lansing is hanging in the balance, although there is another project that is... The amphlitheater project that is to be used with the proceeds from the sale of the land to Gillespe. Unfortunately this is a bystander, and as one that is in support of the arts, (Most major cities that we would love to emulate have some sort of outdoor entertainment arena) I feel as though we are losing alot if this doesnt pass. The funny thing to me is that, if there is a new Market, I would assume that the folks that are decidedly against it would most likely be the first and biggest supporters of the tenants in the new Market (although I dont know if they realize that yet).

Its all mute because the council has to soeak on behalf of the residents and this is completely in the air. I just wish they would remember that by nixing this deal, they would also be nixing the proposed amphlitheater, which is also a huge component to the revival of the Capital City.
  • Yeah, the market place development can do a lot for the Cedar Larch corridor even by itself. If the Market Place development were to go through and BallPark North not to, you would still see property values rise for the land surrounding the project, making it more attractive for businesses to move in.
  • Lmich, I think your underestimating the importance of this project. If it is voted down it dooms Market Place, Ballpark North, the Ampitheater and it could also doom City Center Studios. That altogether screws the Stadium District's progress up. The reason I'm so concerned is that Lansing can't afford to lose any momentum. I really would like to stay in Lansing, I want it to become a city that I actually want to live in, but if it doesn't I'll be on my way to Chicago.
  • Micro -

Thanks for posting the Council members' email addresses. I'm not in the habit getting too involved in this type of local politics, but I have sent them a strong note of support for this project. Hopefully my involvement with downtown business will carry an extra ounce of weight, but regardless, I would have always wondered if I hadn't said something! Now I guess we just have to wait.

For my opinion, I also think that this is a terribly important vote that could have a devastating domino effect if it is not passed.
  • The Ampitheater has no funding, unless someone knows something I don't. The mayor's initial idea was to use proceeds from the sale of the city market to build the stage on the other side of the river. But that (quietly) changed when the proposal shifted responsibility to build the market from Gillespie to the city. So the $1.6 million the city gets from selling the market site goes to building a new market, not an Ampitheater.
  • Just to give you all an authoritative perspective on this from the Mayor's Office, if the Market Place development agreement is not approved, you can kiss all 3 of these projects goodbye. Market Place, Ballpark North and a new City Market WILL NOT HAPPEN. And to those who have commented that this is a litmus test for other investors, you are absolutely right. The future development of downtown Lansing hangs in the balance on this vote. Speak out now if you want to see this project approved.