Marketplace

Comments

• The article in the LSJ today doesn't cast the new market in a great light, added with the concerns for the asthetics that you guys are having it's kinda disappointing.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091002/NEWS01/910020321&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL
  • edited October 2009
    You beat me too it. I was just about to post that I'm not the only one showing some concern (to say the least) with how this is all unfolding. I never imagined for one minute that this could actually turn out to be something less than the current market, but it's looking that way:

Plans for City Market shrinking in size, scope

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • October 2, 2009 • From Lansing State Journal

The new $1.6 million Lansing City Market continues to shrink before even opening its doors.

Still scheduled to open Dec. 1 and expected to require more expensive fees from vendors, the new market will lack a picnic pavilion and community kitchen that was envisioned for classes.

Also, there will be 6,700 square feet of rentable market space for vendors, compared with the 7,800 square feet originally proposed.

Some vendors already have said they will not move to the new location, just southwest of the present market at the corner of Cedar and Shiawassee streets.

They've known for awhile that fees to rent market space were going up. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Keith still has said that approximately 30 percent of the market's 30-plus vendors may not move to the new location.

Councilwoman Sandy Allen said Thursday that a project that started out on an exciting note obviously may not be what it was expected to be.

"I understand what's happening," she said. "At the same time, I am getting some concerns."

**sigh**

To be honest, as a long-time fan of the current market that holds plenty of sentimental value for me (used to go there pretty regularly as a kid, and now some of the long-time vendors in passing), but an huge and ardent proponent and supporter of the new project at the beginning of this, I do feel tricked and cheated. Whatever.
  • As someone who was a bit of a "sky is falling" supporter of this project, I also an starting to feel a bit tricked/cheated. I'm trying my best to not pass too many judgements till I see the final product, but it's getting really really hard ignoring information like this that signals it's not going to be great.
  • Does anybody else think that the City Market looks like some of the buildings in Detroit's Eastern Market?
  • edited October 2009
    It looks like most historic market buildings in the country, but only in the fact that they chose barn architecture/massing. The old barns in the likes of Eastern Market are heavily and solidly built and faced in brick and stone, not corrugated metal that you could find on any old suburban-styled warehouse in the Midway Industrial Park in southeast Lansing. This new structure has all the grace and style of say...Horrock's building out in Delta Township. I'd have thought that being in the heart of the city and being literally feet away from the current brick-and-stone market, they'd have at least made a quality facade a non-negotiable item.

Let's be clear for the zillionth time. We went from this (what looks to be an aesthetically pleasing facade with real brick and stone):

Proposed%20LCM%20museum%20dr%20view%20051208_web.jpg

To this, which appears to be cheap corrugated tin metal:

3147732954_af9a687d1e.jpg

And, if my current pictures are right, there won't even be windows on the sides of the new market, so the lacking latter design has been stripped down even more since then.
  • How did it cost this much money?!
  • Can we not withhold judgment until the building is actually finished? It seems to me as though there is a half built building and you guys are treating as though you're looking at the finished product.
  • Well, from wear I sit the new market building looks like a giant pole barn. I'll take the old brick buildings any day. Could someone please educate me as to the advantages of the new building?
  • Just to clarify my point of view, I like the idea of a new market and I like the size and shape of the new design. To me the only real disappointment is the facade. That being said I'm trying to hold off judgement until I see the finished product because it may surprise me, but I sorta doubt it.