General Lansing Development

Comments

• Given what seems to be old forest that surrounds it so completely, I'd not bet on it, but most of all of the other lakes in that area of town actually are old gravel pits, so who knows.
  • Looking closer at the birds eye view, I'm pretty sure the lake is the bottom of a large shallow gravel pit. the edges of the lake look steep and rough. The hospice is near there and I remember that being inside the pit also.

The Sonic is supposed to be open before the end of this year, according to this article:
    Lansing restaurant project receives brownfield funds
  • I've only heard of Hawk Island being a gravel pit, but it's possible that Bear Lake could be one also.
  • edited March 2010
    Gillespie wants to turn the old Marshall Street Armory on the Eastside into a non-profit center. I saw some renderings (computer walk-throughs and traditional renderings) on WLNS this evening, and it looks very nice. I didn't realize how nice the gym was, inside:

Developer eyes armory site as nonprofits' hub

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • March 29, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

A historic building in Lansing that housed military weapons, training facilities and hosted war homecoming celebrations since the 1920s could take on a new identity as a hub for nonprofit organizations.

Developer Pat Gillespie wants to renovate the Marshall Street Armory, 300 Elvin Court, into office space for several local and statewide nonprofit organizations.

The roughly $4 million project will involve refurbishing about 37,000 square feet. The nonprofit tenants would have their own offices, but share a central reception area, copy and fax room, and conference rooms.

The building was constructed in the early 1920s and served as an armory and training site until the last Michigan Army National Guard field artillery unit moved out in 2005.

After that, employees of the guard and Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs used the facility until 2006, said Capt. Corissa Barton of the Michigan Army National Guard.

A picture I took of it a few years back:

80585776_60166c6e71.jpg
  • I think this is a good idea. It would be nice to see the old armory saved and reused.
  • [url=http://www.WLNS.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=4660029&at1=News&h1=Historic Landmark Getting Makeover&flvUri=&partnerclipid=]Here[/url] is the WLNS video report.
  • Grand Ave. downtown is closing between Ottawa and Shiawassee from now till July for a streetscape project.

http://apps.cityoflansingmi.com:8000/newsevents/releases/Grand%20Ave%20Start%20of%20construction%203-31-1020497.pdf
  • @hood: The article mentioned a new name for the PSD, but I couldn't find the actual new name anywhere. Any idea what it will be?
  • I also noticed that. I was wondering if they meant to include the new name in the article or if they didn't intend to mention it getting a new name. I don't have a clue what they would rename it.