MSU Development

Comments

• I'm still not sure I love the "tin-can" look of the project's around campus lately (IE, Brody caf, Cyclotron expansion).

I also find it difficult to rationalize spending about $60 mil on this caf expansion when there may be more useful projects that could've used the money. WMU's had campus wide wireless internet coverage since, I believe, 2005. MSU doesn't even have it in a number of dorms, let alone outdoor areas of campus. I'm not saying that particular project should go towards the top of the pecking order, but there have gotta be some other, less expensive things that need to be taken care of.
  • I agree that there are probably better things to spend money on than renovating cafeterias and dorms, especially to the degree that they're renovating them. I'm not sure what the money should be spent on though, as I don't really know what MSU has and doesn't have.
  • edited September 2010
    The FRIB project has received approval to continue with the design and planning phase of the project. This phase is expected to consume the 2011-2012 fiscal year and will cost about $55 million. There is also a new rendering of the NSCL expansion on the website.

Here is a thumbnail:
    FRIB_render_3.thumbnail.jpg
  • Wow the preliminary design costs $55 million? That's enough to build a pretty big building. I know they said this thing was going to cost $550 million, but I got a feeling it's going to cost closer to $1 billion.
  • The LSJ is reporting today that IBM is going to exercise its lease option and expand to use the full building that it is currently located.

This will, in effect, push the MSUFCU branch out of the building. MSUFCU says that they are looking to purchase 4 acres from MSU to build a new branch at the northeast corner of Farm Lane and Mount Hope.

I really wish that MSU would stop pushing projects and development south of Service Rd. It is just continuing sprawl out in this direction that will have negative effects in the future in terms of transportation, walkability, and promoting green developments. I am highly doubtful that there is nowhere closer to campus that a building can either be reused or built such that new infrastructure and parking lots don't have to be laid.
  • This is great news. I hope that IBM continues to grow their Lansing presence. I do agree that the location for the new MSUFCU branch is odd, their is almost nothing in the surrounding area.
  • edited September 2010
    The MSU Board of Trustees approved the construction of the new MSUFCU branch at Mt Hope and Farm Lane. Colleen McNamara was the sole trustee to vote against it, citing the poor choice of location.

I agree with Trustee McNamara. The location of this branch is not environmentally sustainable, and it follows the same odd choice of location as the main headquarters for MSUFCU.
  • So frustrating! It would have been so great to have the headquarters in downtown EL or on Mich Ave. between the two downtowns...it would have made such a great addition to Mich. Ave. and could easily have been a seed for concentrated development that everyone wants there. Here was a second chance (albeit smaller), to do the same.
  • Nice article about current projects on-campus: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20101008/NEWS06/10080320/Donations-grants-driving-construction-boom-at-MSU
  • edited February 2011
    There are lots of updates about campus projects to be found in the most recent minutes of the MSU Construction Planning group:
    http://www.construction.msu.edu/index.cfm/construction-junctions/archived-meeting-materials/february-10-2011-meeting-agenda/february-10-2011-meeting-minutes/

Some of the highlights:[ulist][li]Construction on the Art Museum should be finished by December 2011.[/li][li]Parts of Wells Hall will be accessible for classes in the fall. [/li][li]The plant science expansion should be finished by fall 2011.[/li][/ulist]