MSU Development

Comments

• MSU to spend $43.2M on Plant Science Expansion
    Project is first major new building on campus since '02
    Matthew Miller • Lansing State Journal • December 29, 2009

In a time of campus-wide budget cuts, Michigan State University is moving ahead with construction of the first major new building on its campus in nearly a decade.
    http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091229/NEWS06/912290317&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL
  • That ought to be nice. I'm glad to see that MSU is continuing to add buildings, I hope they continue the trend.

I just went to the MSU construction website to see if they had any renderings of this project, but they don't yet. I did find some nice looking renders of a renovation thats underway on Brody Hall.
    Brody Hall renovation

dd_Exterior-01EastApproach0009.jpg

dd_Exterior-01EastApproach0009.jpg

Also here are a couple of their pictures of the completed Cyclotron building/FRIB offices.
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=53523&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=53519&g2_serialNumber=2
  • I've been by the cyclotron expansion many times, and I'll be there again tomorrow. It really looks tin-canish, and sort of clashes with all of the red brick buildings in the area, and around campus. I know it's a ways off, but it'll be pretty interesting to see what buildings wind up popping up once they've finalized FRIB plans.

Also, I know they're really moving on the Brody caf expansion, and those renderings look pretty cool. I didn't pay too much attention to that project when I last went by it a couple weeks ago, so I'll maybe try to snap a couple shots tomorrow when I'm in town.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, there are quite a few "older" buildings on south campus I'd like to see replaced, that is the so-called modern ones from the 60's or so that have no aged anywhere near as gracefully as the 100 years+ ones on the north campus. South campus is rife with some pretty horrible architecture. I really hope that they quit putting off the new home for UPLA Building (Urban Planning & Landscape Architecture) which is an embarrassing home for that program considering what is taught inside.

Anyone know who the architect is for the Plant Science Expansion? It'd be good to find some bigger renderings.

BTW, here are the current buildings in this complex courtesy of MSU's campus map page:

Plant & Soil Sciences

plantsoil.jpg

Plant Biology Labs

plantb.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out exactly which building this will be expanded onto.

EDIT: Oops, just reread the full article and it says:
    The new building will physically join the Plant Biology and Plant and Soil Sciences buildings.

Good to know. I'm not very familiar with that southeast end of campus, really. All I originally knew when they gave the location is that this would put it across the street from the Wharton Center.
  • edited April 2010
    In the same corner of campus as the previously mentioned Plant Science Expansion, MSU announced on Thursday that they have recieved $7.45 million in federal stimulus money to build a new College Of Nursing research center. The building will be called the Bott Building for Nursing Education and Research.

It will be connected to the Life Sciences building at the corner of Bogue and Service Road. Construction is supposed to start this summer, and it looks to be three stories tall.

62e4bac3-350b-46e5-9abc-c037459befed.jpg
    e6fa1eae-1644-40fb-becb-69c3a48a3280.jpg
  • I'm really liking the choice of architecture that MSU has in designing their new buildings. Did anyone ever find renderings of the Plant Science addition?
  • edited April 2010
    I've found renderings of the Plant Science Extension in slides that were posted on the College of Natural Science website.

Also, I've found renderings for lots of other projects in the MSU Construction Junction publication from December 2009. It has got many renderings I had never seen before of projects that have been proposed/planning.

Edit: The MSU Physical Plant has a webpage on their site with an index of each months Construction Junction.
  • The ground breaking for the Plant Science Expansion will be tomorrow (Friday) at 2pm. MSU has put out a press release with more information about the ground breaking.

The building will cost $43 million and will be 80,000 square feet. Construction is scheduled to be completed in 2012.
  • An article from Capital Gains: Michigan State University's Case Hall Slated For a $16 Million Renovation

It doesn't have any renderings and only limited info, but it sounds like a fairly large project.
  • Some shots of the Brody Caf construction to this point:

IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG