General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited December 2012
    A part of the vacant land where Lansing Car Assembly used to be next door to Lansing Grand River Assembly has been paved over for a parking lot. Not sure if its a waiting lot for the product or parking for the workers, but it's lit at night. I noticed it last night while driving by and seeing how much it was lit against the backdrop of the downtown skyline.

BTW, it seems we lost everyone else when the site went down.
  • It's nice to see some of the vacant land get some use there. I still hope to see some mixed development go in place on that land, it's a great central location.

My Google Analytics account is showing that the site was down from around November 15th to December 4th, which happened to be terrible timing since that coincided with me moving :( Traffic is increasing back to its previous levels before the site went down, where it was averaging just under 30 visits per weekday and is now averaging just under 20 visits per weekday. I place some of this on the low activity of the site, I'll try posting more development news as I come across it. I also agree that some people may have seen the site down and thought it was never coming back :(
  • I'm still around. I'm not local any more so I don't have anything to contribute, but I check in every few days to see if any new news has popped up.
  • I'm still here. Was surprised there for a few days though.
  • I figured out what it was the other day. I was stupid and used the server to host some backup files while I was moving, and that caused my disk usage to go over the limit, which must have stopped the site from working. Sorry about that :-/
  • This could explain the recent activity near the Grand River plant: GM to Move Camaro Production to Lansing
  • edited December 2012
    Not likely, since the move is still two or three years off at the least, but it's good to hear more product coming to this line.
  • I would think that site work, especially any environmental work would need to begin very soon for production to begin in 2-3 years. I'm assuming that a moderate expansion will be needed for this and I would think it will be towards MLK. At 70k units the Camaro would almost double the current production there , so I'm really curious to see what they do.
  • edited December 2012
    It's my understanding that they are using the existing line.

BTW, the 'construction' (i.e. lighted parking lot) taking place that I've noticed is at the far western end of the main grounds. I'd think if this was for a potential expansion of the actual plant what I saw would have been much closer to the existing plant. I guess any of us could email the city planning office to find out. Maybe I'll do that.
  • I think it will use the existing line, at least mostly. However, they added on 120k sq ft to accommodate the much lower production ats. For the Camaro they'll probably add a 3rd shift and need at least a few hundred thousand square feet of new space, if not something more significant. They'll also need more parking and staging areas.

BTW, when it comes to the work along MLK, I was more or less assuming this may be the very beginning of environmental work and/or foundation removal. Just getting the site to the point of being buildable will take a lot of work.