General Lansing Development

Comments

• That seems pretty small, but the important thing is that it looks good from the street, if it doesn't go deep thats fine. I just can't wait to see the renderings.
  • But, 4-stories and only 8-9 lofts means some huge residential units. He's really trying to corner the luxury market, here. It's not unimpressive by any means, and should fit nicely with the "village" feel of Old Town. This is one of the few places where I don't want to see anything over 6-8 stories.
  • I think 4 floors is good infill for Old Town, and nothing over 6 floors should go up. I think I seen in one of the articles on the Temple Club closing that the River North project would be like 22,000 sq ft total. So I would guess average unit size to be about 2000 sq ft, assuming the ground floor will be retail.
  • Yes, the groundfloor will be retail. 2,000 square feet is quite large for an inner-city loft condo.
  • Couple things from the LSJ midday updates:

Lansing EDC, Principal Shopping District move to new site, I really wasn't expecting them to move in so quick, I thought their move was still a month or so away.

City opens new section of river trailI had completely forgottten about this, I probably won't get to check it out until next spring or summer.

Also, they have part of the foundation done for the University Center (the side along Capitol), I'll have to get out to take some pictures this weekend.
  • Is the new section of the River Trail connected to the current system, because I didn't see anything last time I was on it not that long ago.
  • edited November 2006
    Thats what I was wondering, I was through Scott woods in mid-June and it was still the same old trail, I really don't know how they would have connected it to the main Rivertrail. It has me sort of intrigued to see exactly what they did. I do know that I would like to see the rivertrail brought through that park at the NE corner of Aurelius & Mt. Hope and into Fenner. I would also like to see that park reopened, I heard it used be nice.

Also, FYI, one of my teachers have me a second confirmation that the MSP headquarters is moving forward. He said his brother works with leases and they are beginning to terminate them. He said that while nothing official has been announced, but it sounds like MSP wants to be in there within a couple years. To sum it up, look for a sudden announcement with a quick start date and fast-track construction, think Grand Tower kind of timeline.
  • Yeah, I'd like to see the River Trail take more advantage of the totally natural nature of that part of town. BTW, isn't it Crego Park that's closed due to toxic dumping? I'm pretty sure Fenner Nature Center is still open. I'm surprised that these aren't aren't more popular. I can't think of any other big city in Michigan that has this amount of natural area completely surrounded by an urban area. It's pretty unique. I really want to do a nature photo tour of this area, and perhaps the two historic cemeteries in this area.

That's GREAT to hear that the MSP project is moving forward. I'm starting to get excited about Janurary, because Bob has said some big things will be announced then, as well as PSD director Kevin Green. Speaking of the Bob and Kevin, the PSD and Lansing EDC have now completely moved into their offices in the Arbaugh. The space fronts Washington at the southwest end of the building, and looks really nice. I also saw that the Firm has already redone their upstairs office space.

And, the CSO is QUICKLY wrapping up. I had my doubts they'd actually be done this month, but it looks like they may open up Michigan any day now.

Lastly, I've noticed that some intersections in the city are being improved, and I'd heard about this months ago. It's obvious that they've done a lot with Penn. and Michigan, but have you noticed they are going to replace those tacky "street lights on wires" at Baker Street and Cedar? I hope to see more of this because little things like this can help cities look more inviting. They are replacing them with the standard "tower" like steel/aluminium beams that you see in almost every other city, but it really does a lot for the look of intersections. If I were mayor, I'd be pushing to put wires underground whenever possible.
  • BTW, it looks like Niowave and Neogen have taken the councils advice and finally started up an incentive program to get their employees and future employees to considering buying in Lansing:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/NEWS03/611100363

Little things like this really help in the end.
  • Yeah, Crego's the one I was talking about, it was a contaminated site (I think a gravel pit turned park, that was found to be contaminated later). It has been clean for years now, I'm not sure how long, maybe even before I was born. Reopening the park has been the plan for many tears alos, I'm not quite sure why it hasn't been yet, I thought they had even gone through and preped it for opening a few years back. As for Fenner, it is actually pretty busy sometimes, I wish they could bring back the buffalos though.

The city has a long way to go before replacing all the traffic lights on wires, most intersections have them, and most other (older) cities do to, as soon as you get away from the most major of throughfares. The ones on poles to look MUCH better though.I also like the look of the new, brighter LED lights they have been putting in them, like at Michigan & Penn.

They said that the CSO was supposed to be done before Thanksgiving, its looking like they will easily beat that date.