Accident Fund Headquarters (Ottawa Street Station Redevelopment)

Comments

• The garage is well under construction, now. I think that may be the makings of a tower crane to the right background:

4447052198_f46c8c02e0_o.jpg
  • I hadn't thought about that being a tower crane before, but I'm pretty sure your right. It will be sorta nice to have a tower crane on the skyline again, even it's only building a parking ramp.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm still not sure, though, because it'd seem like overkill to be building a tower crane for something as short as a parking garage. I don't think I've ever seen a tower crane used to build a parking garage, even the much taller Townsend Street Garage (Boji ramp), but I can't think of what else it could be. I don't know much about construction, though, so maybe tower cranes aren't used just for tall structures but for the type of construction being done.
  • I think the tower crane may be necessary because of the size of the floor plates and the lack of room for a regular crane to get around the site. If you look at the kind of space is left on the site, it makes sense that it would be more efficient to use a tower crane.
  • Yeah, the more I look at it in person the more I realize how incredibly expansive these floorplates are going to be. This is going to be one big-assed garage. It'll be really cool to see an actual tower crane being constructed and in use, if even only for an ugly, monster-garage. lol
  • Just FYI, I saw that parts of the tower crane were arriving on site earlier today.
  • edited March 2010
    The crane is now assembled, its nice to see a crane like that on the skyline.
  • edited March 2010
    Some pictures from today (click for larger versions):
    th_562e468d.jpg

th_48b0ad79.jpg

th_fca54e7b.jpg
  • Some pictures of the parking ramp as of this morning:
    bbe75a96.jpg

539b8268.jpg