Accident Fund Headquarters (Ottawa Street Station Redevelopment)

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I actually don't think I'd like it if they didn't totally differentiate the annex from the plant. If they'd have tried to copy the plant in any way, it'd have come off as a cheap knock-off, so it's better they went for a totally different theme for the additional, IMO. Still, I'd like it better if they'd have clad the side in aluminium or some other metal like they did the University Center. I know it increases the cost of a project quite a bit, but it would have been worth it.

BTW, not having seen any solid renderings of the parking garage, I'm not sure how high the garage will come up on the northern facade. It may end up blocking most of the brick out, anyway, from view.
  • November 14

4104266713_f4156d61bb_b.jpg

I was surprised that the riverfront on the other side of the river is now open, limitedly. At first, I thought the construction crews had accidentially opened the gates because they were only cracked at both ends. But the new section was full of sight-seers and the construction crews present didn't try and disuade anyone from taking a look. I'll have to get some pics of it and from it soon.

Having lived down here for years, the difference between what used to be there and what is there now is night and day, which is neither good nor bad. I kind of missed the scenic and closed in feeling of the trail at this location, before, almost like a park, but understand that's better suited for other parts of the trail, now, that there are actual attractions going up on both sides of the river.
  • Yeah I was just down there today as well, and was surprised to see bikers going through the construction area instead of around it. Most of the shrubs have already been plated on the west side of the river near the trail. I'm not expecting that side of the trail to be open for a while as there is still heavy construction going on at the Accident Fund headquarters.
  • art3757widea.jpg
    Recovery Zone

Finally, a rendering for the new ramp. It looks about as good as parking ramp can get, but I wish they would put ground floor retail in it, and it would be nice if they distanced it as much as possible from the river.
  • Actually, I think the nicest parking garage I've seen is the ramp built a few years ago on Michigan State's north campus. I agree with the ground floor retail. That would really help connect the LCC/Accident Fund side to the City Market side of the bridge.
  • edited December 2009
    It'd have been even nicer if they'd at least retrofitted it to fit a few more floors on top for future expansion and maybe some residential units for some of the workers. And, in many places, garages are being "hidden" by wrapping a few levels of retail and residential around them concealing all but the entrances and exists to the garage.

BTW, when does this thing start construction? In all of the articles I've read on the recovery bonds (and it's been quite a few), I've never seen them state when they'll start construction on this and how long it will take.
  • I haven't seen any indication of when construction will begin, but I would assume it will be pretty soon since the project is slated for completion in early 2011.
  • I'm not sure if this would be easy to wrap with retail because it may be located to close to a flood plain, but if it could be then it would make it look nicer and add more use to the ramp.
  • I'd said some months back that the excuse they used for not putting retail in the groundfloor was because of the difficulty or price of getting insurance in a floodplain. I'm not sure how much a believe that, though.