SkyVue on Michigan

Comments

• Yeah, it will look very out of place, at least for awhile. I've been trying to picture how tall it will be compared to the Sears water tower, I'm thinking they'll be pretty close in height.
  • I will tell you my one concern is that the surrounding area won't properly adapt. Frandor, for example, is a mess to access as a pedestrian from any side - it can be done, but you end up walking along lane edges or through gigantic undesignated masses of concrete anyway you do it. With 1000 more customers just to the south, will they improve pedestrian access, at least from the south?

And then on a related note, will Michigan Ave. get another crosswalk before Harrison? Because I assure you many of those students will not wait until Harrison to cross.
  • edited December 2015
    Apparently the Sears water tower is approx 110 feet high according to the NGS (http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=NF1500)

Comparable building heights:

Sparrow Tower: 9 floors @188ft
    Accident Fund: 9 floors @172ft
    Capital View: 9 floors @154ft
    Victor Office Center: 9 floors @140ft
    101 S Washington Square: 9 floors @110ft
    Ferris Park Tower: 9 floors @95ft

So somewhere between 101 S Washington and Ferris Park Tower at street level and taller in the back?
  • MichMatters was able to find the height of Skyvue in the planning documents a couple pages back in this thread. The main roof parapet wall will rise to 106', the highest point of the roof will be 125'. So the height of the main roof will only be 4' shorter than the Sears water tower, that should make it a little easier to imagine this building being there.
  • Just a quick update on this. Drove past the site last night and the dealership has been completely demolished.
  • Smashed (today). CXpXBNDUQAAwIui.jpg:large
  • Thanks for keeping us updated with the pictures. It reminds me that I really need to get out and take pictures myself like I used to...

Work here seems to be moving quick, I still find it odd that they're simultaneously drilling the foundation for the new building while tearing down the old one. At this pace the old building should be completely cleared in a couple weeks or less and I imagine vertical construction will begin fairly shortly afterwards.
  • I'm not sure what this means, if it means anything at all. The title seems like a scare quote after you read that the developer expected the costs to increase.
    LANSING – The projected cost of the nine-story SkyVue project has increased from $77 million to $90 million, developers said.

The increase was caused by rising construction costs and the complexity of the mixed-use development’s design, which includes apartments and retail space, said Matthew Marshall, vice president of Georgia-based RISE Real Estate.

“We fully anticipated the cost increasing, and we’re still within budget,” Marshall said.

Construction is still on schedule.

The article also goes into some internal changes in the plan including that RISE brought in EdR Collegiate Housing of Tennesee to manage the property once it's completing slightly changing the marketing of the property, which started out as being marketed to yuppies and is now sold as a "mixed-use student housing" community. I think it was clearly fairly early on that they were marketing a majority of the units to students; anytime you see them marketing "beds" we're talking student housing, but they know what kind of connotation the word "student housing" carries. They say the 144 one-bedrooms in the building will be marketed to more upscale demographics.
  • For whatever reason the mobile version of the article has this new rendering where the desktop doesn't. It's higher quality than previous ones and show that the eastern wing of the building will only be 8 floors.

skyvue%20new.jpg
  • That would match the floor plans posted earlier in the thread:

skyvue1.jpg