SkyVue on Michigan

Comments

• Some stuff in the ground now.

CZ-5pW9UkAAcxQg.jpg:large

CZ-5uPlUcAAiPHw.jpg:large
  • edited January 2016
    Looking at the banner on your second picture, I like how the Frandor sign at the entrance appears so dwarfed next to the building.
  • It's good to see this project progressing so quickly, it looks like those are two elevator towers that are already above ground. I'd imagine they have to be getting close to done with the footings since they've been drilling them since demolition began, things should really get going quick then.
  • Looking good in this latest rendering. It appears that Niles Bolton Associates are the architects http://www.nilesbolton.com/

I'm a little confused by the floors plans. Did they mix up the colors for residential and retail? I'm curious what the ground floor along the Frandor entrance drive will be?
  • I think I would pay double to have an outward facing unit rather than looking into the courtyard.
  • I'm at Frandor fairly often and seeing the elevator/stairwell cores always hit me when I'm there. You can tell just how visible it's going to be.
  • I drive by there quite a bit and have also been eyeing those elevator towers as they rise. I'm a little surprised it looks like they wont be using a tower crane here, given the size of the floor plates I would've almost expected them to. I'm also wondering if this is going to be a steel or concrete structure, I'm thinking probably concrete?
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah, I'm guessing concrete. It's a large building, but the interior is rather section out given that it's a residential building. Usually, they use steel for office buildings with really long/large open floorplans, things that require long spans.

There are always exceptions, though, so who knows. I know that sometimes the difference in the price of steel vs. concrete is also a factor at any given time. I've been under the impression that steel has gotten cheaper over recent decades are more and more of its production has been outsourced to China, but I really don't know.
  • Yeah, it was always my thinking that concrete is preferred in residential buildings, but sometimes they do use steel for whatever reasons.

The price of steel and all metals went up quite a bit from around 2000 until ~2010, prices are way off their 2010 highs but well above previous levels. From what I understand this was largely from increased demand in China, who began importing much larger amounts of steel and other commodities as their economy began to grow rapidly. They're currently in a decline that could turn into a recession or depression but that obviously wont last forever. Growing demand there and the rest of the developing world is going to continue to generally drive all commodity prices up in coming years.

Speaking of building materials it's worth checking out the emerging trend of wood skyscrapers if you haven't already: The Skyscrapers of the Future Will Be Made of Wood. It would be great if Lansing could get one of these building early on, they seem like a pretty reasonable construction option.