The Hub at East Lansing

Comments

• I will say that I do love the location of this project. I'd much rather lose a 7-11 and that Georgio's than old downtown buildings.

• That is interesting, you guys may go that way more often, I usually avoid that area and take Mt. Hope out to Okemos. The stadium is the only building in E.L. you can see above the tree line from the 9th floor in my building in REOtown, you can just see the top of the Skyvue building. I think the elevation of downtown E.L. may be a bit lower that then Lansing hiding the taller buildings from the skyline.

• I love that Georgio's. I still go in there and have been since it was Arby's. :-(

• I personally like the Georgios across from BW3 better, but yeah it's sad to lose the local and independent businesses. Hopefully it can reopen in the new building or move to another location on Grand River.

• edited October 2017

This one has now been formally proposed. I like how each wing gets a different looks

A Chicago-based developer has proposed a 10-story, mixed-used building on the eastern edge of downtown East Lansing.

Core Spaces LLC has pitched a project near East Grand River Avenue and Cedar Street with 12,220 square feet of retail space and 347 apartments.

The project, called "The Hub of East Lansing," would demolish the buildings at 918 and 1010 E Grand River Ave., which are currently home to a 7-Eleven and Georgio's Gourmet Pizzeria. Both businesses would be re-established in the new building, according to the proposal.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2017/10/24/chicago-developer-proposes-10-story-apartment-building-edge-downtown-east-lansing/795562001/

Now, let's see how the council is able to kill this one, too. Though, given that this is student-focused, they'll most likely be able to get along without getting too tied to the city through requesting extra incentives. So, this one might not have much of a problem.

• Yeah, I'm not too worried about this development. The developers aren't asking for a large brownfield credit (that I can remember) and the developers aren't asking the city to build/own a parking garage. This development should move along quickly like the Stonehouse Village developments.

• edited October 2017

This looks easier, but I put nothing past the city council in their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Anyway, the Planning Commission agenda for this one coming up tomorrow reveals a new pieces of information:

• Sidewalks will be widened on Grand River and Bogue as required by the city's design guidelines for East Village. Sidewalks on Grand River gets widened to 22 feet and Bogue to 20 feet. This will be a huge improvement along Grand River as it always feels so incredibly dangerous in the area with cars coming on and off of the boulevard portion of GR.

• The building will rise 127 feet the the main roof deck level, but there is a slightly elevated roof top deck over half of the roof that brings the upper roof to 132 feet. The elevator tower, however, would bring this to 152 feet, which would be even taller than the mechanical levels on Park District/100 Grand, which would make it the tallest high-rise in the city.

• Parking will be spread over an underground level, the first floor mezzanine and the second floor, but it will be in the back of the building so it won't be seen from Grand River or even Bogue, really.

• Along with Georgio's and 7-Eleven there will be over 7,000 square feet of additional retail/restaurant space.

• Worth noting that East Lansing passed form-based zoning code for this area. I think this may be the first development that will be based on it.

• Yep, this is the East Village overlay district, and The Hub is why they recently amended the requirements in the overlay district. They wanted to make it easier to develop up to the 140 feet height limit.

• The FB comments to this project are pretty bad. The EL residents don't want it, are upset about it, and don't want more student housing. They learn nothing.