The Hub at East Lansing

Comments

• The construction company released some new renderings of this a few days ago. Not huge changes, but it looks like we do see some value engineering going on. The other big change I see is that they've either moved the elevator tower - which you know see kind of looming over the center wing throwing off the aesthetics a bit - or they never included it in previous renderings from this angle. With all of the roof-top amenities, it was going to be difficult to work around it.

In any case:

More at the link.

• I didn't expect the east side of the building to have those angled wedges. I wonder why they did this as I would assume it costs more and definitely reduces square footage.
  • edited September 2018

I don't understand what's going on there, either. Though, if it reduced the square footage, then it's not really a cost increase; it almost certainly was a cost decrease for a project like this. If they have to enclose less space thereby lowering the cost of the project, I imagine the price of the fins is significantly less than the floor space that would have otherwise been built, so they can afford that little architectural embellisment.

• The rooftop amenities are dope. I hope this catches on.

• Yeah, that's a great looking roof. I am very excited to learn whatever game that court is for.

• Looks like a basketball court except they put a cutout of the state on the wall instead of a backboard. The high fences also lead to the basketball court. But the other circles could get confusing.

The court reminds me of the Pigalle court in Paris, https://www.dezeen.com/2015/08/12/pigalle-duperre-ill-studio-paris-basketball-court-multicoloured-installation/

• Yeah, but there are 9 basketball hoops! I'd like to think of it as some sort of 21st century amalgam of Ulama and Quidditch.

• edited October 2018

Check this out: https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2018/10/25/apartments-east-lansing-bringing-change/1663412002/

EAST LANSING — Three weeks after leasing began, The Hub at East Lansing had already raised its prices twice.

Because it could. Demand had been that strong.

The 10-story student apartment building is still under construction on the eastern edge of downtown. It has just one exterior wall, but it's a stone's throw away from Michigan State University's campus. Students are already certain they want to live there.

Rental vacancies are also down in East Lansing from 8.4% in 2010 to 4.2% in 2016. I think when the 2020 Census figures come out, we're going to be quite surprised.

• I was impressed by that 4.2% figure, all of this building starts to make sense!

• The other key figure to track is the $/sqft that these rentals are getting. $2 is the magic rate that building really starts to take off [1]. The article regarding The Hub mentions $1,100/300 square feet which is at $3.67/sqft. As long as we see rents above $2/sqft we'll keep getting more proposals. I think the trick with downtown East Lansing is getting the average above $2/sqft when senior housing is included.

[1] https://www.friedmanrealestate.com/news/downtown-detroits-rent-market-nears-magic-number-2-per-square-foot/