General East Lansing Development

Comments

• With the Capstone development across the street, I think Meridian Township has signaled that they are willing to expedite development in the Hannah Plaza area, most likely to make up for decreased tax revenues in other parts of the township.
  • Didn't the previous board really micro-manage the other Capstone development? I remember them saying that the the township had given them the runaround for quite some time on that project. In fact, when j was talking about a new project, I thought he was talking about the Lodges. lol
  • Oh, maybe they could have given them the runaround. Most likely they required the installation of the community center and other placemaking adjustments, but overall they let them build on what are basically wetlands and just create some retention ponds to make up for it.
  • You guys hear about the massive development going up at Chandler Crossings? The LSJ reported on it but didn't give many facts. I was able to find that we're talking either 400+ more beds or units, and they'll construct a new urbanist mainstreet through the middle or something. I'd like to see some renderings.
  • Yeah I had read about it but couldn't find more details on the Bath Township planning commission website. It was confusing to me as to if it was going to be located next to the strip mall on Chandler Road or next to The Beaumont on the piece of land that never got used for the future phases.
  • WILX posted a site plan in their story:

Mayberry+Rendering+large.jpg
  • Not being too familiar with that area, can someone help me orient the rendering? This would be on the eastside eof the road, right? Where is this in relation to the existing villages/complexes? What apart of that rendering is the existing complex?
  • All the streets bounding to site are already existing, north is to the left. The plaza currently out there is at the bottom of this rendering and looks like it will be partially razed.

I pinned the location here: http://goo.gl/maps/tN8z2
  • edited August 2013
    There is another development that has already begun site work near Chandler Crossings in East Lansing. This development is located just south of Coleman Road and is not affiliated with the development discussed in the previous comments.
    "NEW BUSINESS: Preliminary Site Plan-Orchards at Michigan State
    Mr. Foulds indicated that the property located at 16970 Chandler Road is an 8.2 acre parcel
    located south of Tim Hortons. He added that the Board of Trustees approved the first reading of the
    rezoning for the property to the D Development Overlay Zoning District. The intent of the proposal
    is to develop 62 single family home style cottages that provide 254 beds that range from 3-5
    bedroom units. "
    This past week there have been tree companies on site that have cleared the land and removed all of the trees. This is on the former site of Quality Landscape.
  • edited August 2013
    I'm looking at all of the municipal borders around this area, and this appears to be in Bath Township, literally across the line from a exclave/island of DeWitt Township, which itself abuts East Lansing. I'd really like to see East Lansing, DeWitt Township and Bath Township hammer out more sensible borders in this area. DeWitt Township has five different exclaves along Chandler Road for some weird reason, none of them having anything to do with the housing in this area, but just enough to kind of disrupt a solid line of development along the street.