General East Lansing Development

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Yeah, it seems I didn't read your comments closely enough. I had no idea that most of the ground floor was parking. I thought it'd have been mentioned on the site plan. It seems pretty silly of them to label them "mixed use" given what that term has come to mean. lol

BTW, I across Trowbridge, I've always thought it be nice if there was a shared surface lot somewhere along the strip of land (and preferably not the corner), and then rows of storefronts lining the street. I realize this couldn't work with a Taco Bell, unless the Taco Bell was put at the corner, the surface lot next to it, and then the retail strip of storefronts.
  • This is a major improvement on the existing Trowbridge Plaza. I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Goodrich's and I'm looking forward to most of the improvements. It looks like the northern of the 2 driveways on Harrison, which is currently shared with the church next door, has been converted to a church-only access until it goes behind the western edge of the existing plaza building. That disappoints me because the southern driveway onto Harrison is often blocked by the southbound Harrison traffic. Other than that right now I'm pretty happy with this.
  • I think that that is kind of the point, though. They are trying to make it a bit more pedestrian friendly. More entry and exit points, and more importantly, the more of them that are interconnected, makes the site less friendly to the surrounding neighborhood. That's exactly what they don't want, and that's folks leaving the plaza not just crowding the southern cut, but cutting across through the church driveway to crowd out that cut, too. That's why the concept of this has gone from a "plaza" to a "village." They are giving part of the site, in a way, back to the surrounding neighborhood instead of keeping it only for the folks that drive in and out.
  • Hmm, well I may be leaving the plaza for good next year after today's story in the LSJ about Goodrich's possibly closing. I'm hoping that it's just playing people for a cheaper lease and that it doesn't actually close. I love that store.
  • With respect to Goodrich, I imagine that the construction detours will be their biggest problem and is likely their reasoning for saying that the project would put them out. The developer here would end up having to subsidize Goodrich during the construction period to keep them afloat.
  • edited November 2013
    Clifford, that was my feeling, too, that Goodrich is threatening to leave to get a better lease. This is a total power play by both parties involved. Of course, adding value to the plaza is going to push up rents, and, of course, Goodrich is going to want to get the cheapest lease it can get. I do hope they resolve this. I think the developer would have a stronger case for whatever rents he is asking had this plan been a bit better. Goodrich is really rather unique for the area.
  • More info from the LSJ, today, about the upcoming battle between Goodrich and the developer. Somethings of note:

- The neighboring University United Methodist Church on Harrison is a supporter of the project.

- The developer is including so much housing since so much housing has been lost in the area, recently, between the loss of Faculty Bricks on Cherry Lane and Spartan Village.

- I didn't see this on the site plan, but there are apparently 181 underground parking spaces in this project.

BTW, this project, Trowbridge Village, probably needs its own page, now.
  • Thanks for the update, I've created a separate thread just for Trowbridge Village.
  • edited November 2013
    Looks like the owners of the Meridian Mall want to build on more space (and renovate some existing space) near the JC Penny to make room for an H&M clothier among other options.

Apparently, 30,000 square feet of space will be added to, or renovated near, an area near JC Penny for unspecified retailers. On top of that, an interior build-out will bring a 20,000 square foot H&M to the mall. And, in addition to that, another 23,000 build out will bring a 23,000 square foot Planet Fitness gym.
  • edited May 2014
    The City Pulse had a public notice, this week, for the setting of a public hearing for the approval of permits for The Parkview, which is the 6-story, 160-unit apartment/condo building proposed by DTN for the far westside of downtown (270-300 West Grand River) on Valley Court Park. I'm glad to see this moving forward.

2013-05-24_1030.png