General East Lansing Development

Comments

• Yeah, I'm surprised this wasn't pushed forward long ago. Although I do think it would be nice if they could preserve the Biggby location since it is the original location for what is now a very large chain of coffee shops and also it's unique architecture (even though I believe it was built as an Arby's).
  • I was looking through the City Pulse, today, and noticed a public hearing set for 248 West Grand River. This is the Showroom Shine Carwash/autoshop next door to People's Church, I believe. I don't remember discussing this, though maybe we did. Apparently, they want to build a three-story addition to the shop which would include nine, one-bedroom apartments. This is a few doors down from The Parkview discussed above. Any renderings?
  • edited May 2014
    Nothing that I can find about the Showroom Shine development, although I did find this news listing from mid-March about a rezoning of that area:
    http://statenews.com/article/2014/03/city-could-consider-ordinance-that-grants-grand-river-development
    If passed, the ordinance would affect four properties in the district along Grand River Avenue, ranging from Showroom Shine to the vacant lot next to Biggby Coffee, 270 W. Grand River Ave. The property adjacent to the vacant lot also would fall under the jurisdiction.

East Lansing staff members are in favor of having buildings be up to six stories tall because it’s seen as a way to make the city more environmentally friendly and retain an urban environment.
  • An LSJ articled and some new renderings: Original Biggby Coffee store in East Lansing to be razed, replaced as six-story building

I'm happy with this design. If anything it's a sign that Studio Intrigue is maturing. It's certainly their style all the way, but it looks like they're using a better variety of material and the facade has enough going on to keep it interesting. I especially like the faux copper roof.

gateway2.jpg

Gateway1.jpg

gateway3.jpg
  • It's a shame that Biggby is asking for a separate drive-thru here. The current location has done well without one, and we should be pushing for less curb cuts on Grand River.
  • edited May 2014
    WOW! This is way better, aesthetically, than the previous concept. Maybe a bit overdone, but better than it being boring, too. But, I can bet you the neighbors are going to scream bloody murder about the scale of this thing. It would be a huge change over the low-density stuff currently at the site. This kind of reminds me of the building up on Abbott before you hit the county line. That's a Studio Intrigue design, too, right?

BTW, are the first two floors entirely parking save for the Biggby?
  • edited May 2014
    My gripe about the Biggby curb cut aside, I do really wish that this gets built though :-)

This will fit nice with the Gumby's Goomba's Pizza building across the street.

2014-05-27_2305.png

2014-05-27_2307.png
  • The article says that Biggby will "fill much of the first floor," saying that there will be 2,000-2,200 sq ft of additional space for another tennant. It also says that there will be 240 parking spots between the basement and the second floor, nothing about any on the first. I guess a good portion of the first floor will be taken up by the ramps to the second floor and basement along with Biggby's drive-thru.
  • I knew it. Right out of the gate, the LSJ is reporting at the planning commission meeting, last night, that residents are concerned with both the size of this and that it's not mixed use enough. Residents in the adjacent West Village rowhomes are concerned about traffic. I really feel that before all is said and done the NIMBYs and the city council will end up forcing the developer to shave a floor or two off of this. East Lansing NIMBYs are among the most vocal in the area probably second only to those in Okemos, and the East Lansing city council that came in in 2012 is about as skeptical of large-scale development as we've seen in years.
  • Maybe they all just really prefer vacant lots and empty buildings lining their streets. :)