General Lansing Development

Comments

• That makes sense...I just didn't know how much possibility there was that the major building construction could damage the beautification work such as trees etc. But it sounds like that is pretty minimal compared to the benefits of doing it that way.

Yeah, I noticed the sign too. And actually there are identical signs on all four sides of the building and from what I saw from Washington Sq. all four were lit. It's a very nice sign. Also, the Daily Bagle has it's facade comlete and there new sign is the entire width of the building and looks really good. They also have some white trim around the door and windows that matches the sign.
  • I noticed this morning that renovation of the facade for Kelly's and the former Byblos is underway. Steel/metal beams have been put over the existing brick facade and plywood has been put up over the metal. There are setbacks starting at the top that are farthest out (less than a foot) and holes for the existing windows. I'm kinda surprised they aren't using the existing brick like most of the other rennovations on Wash Sq.; but at least it's FINALLY getting done!
  • edited March 2009
    The Red Cedar Friends Meeting House (Society of Friends - Quakers) is going well along up in Old Town across from On the Grand Condominiums on Turner:

3376696647_8707c543ba_o.jpg

The Delta Dental renovation and expansion in Okemos is coming along, too, but I didn't get any photos of it.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, the Delta Dental expansion has three floors of steel up now. The steel frame looks like it might be complete. Also, the MMA building just down the road also looks to have all the steel up for it's two floor building.

BTW, thanks for the picture!
  • Sale of the North Grand parking ramp has failed to gain traction again. Officials from LCC were present at the council of the whole meeting and offered the same $2.7 million deal that was proposed last year, one in which council president Brian Jeffries has already said that he would vote no towards. The council is looking to increase the price of the sale from $2.7 million to $2.8 and lower the city rents for the office located within the building.

With all this back and forth going on, I'm not sure when this will finally get moving. I would like to see LCC take over the ramp, specifically so they don't have to build their own.
  • I'm also of the mindset that I'd like to see the garage sold to them, but in a way, I also side with Jeffries on this. That bloc of the council made it more than clear that they weren't going to sell it for that price, and then LCC offered the exact same offer, again? I'd call that an insult, to be honest.

The bad thing about this is that it's not exactly like LCC is hurting for cash, either. They are spending $500,000 just to update the signage around campus, which many people say is a bit too much for updating signs to begin with. So, it's not as if they couldn't throw in an extra $100,000 to resolve all of this. This seems to be a game of chicken and an issue of pride.
  • edited March 2009
    BTW, the Lansing EDC is putting out an RFP for a first-ever market study of South Lansing. Go check it out.

A key excerpt:
    A market study of this area of the city has never been commissioned, and it is a perfect opportunity to assess the current economic indicators as well as develop a plan which will outline areas of future growth. In particular we would like to investigate the potential growth of retail, commercial office and mixed-use development along south Lansing’s main corridors: Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Cedar St., Pennsylvania Ave, and Waverly Rd. Additionally, we feel particular attention should be paid to several distinct intersections, including: MLK Blvd & Holmes Rd., Pleasant Grove Rd. & Holmes Rd., Cedar St. & Pennsylvania Ave., and Waverly Rd. & Jolly Rd. These intersections have unique assets that present potential for significant redevelopment projects.

In closing, we are seeking a market study that can provide a road map to a successful south Lansing retail and office market, based on concrete data including guidelines to achieving future prosperity. The complexity of this study will be gathering information, and making accurate projections for distinctly different corridors and intersections within a very broad area.

I'm glad that the city is finally looking at getting key stats on the area to further plan for its future in relationship to the rest of the city.
  • I really don't know how much development is feasible on the South side. I don't think Pennsylvania or Waverly have very much potential for retail, especially nothing considerable in size. MLK and Cedar street have very high traffic counts, but most lots are small. I think in order for the city to get much accomplished they're going to have pick smaller areas and focus on them one at a time. I think that the first thing that needs to be done is streetscape on these major roads, they need the overhead wires buried, new streetlights and the traffic lights put on poles. That alone may be enough to entice businesses back into those areas, especially coupled with tax incentives, however I know that it probably won't happen.
  • Yeah, it'll always function primarily as a suburb, but perhaps parts of it can function, again, as a "streetcar suburb", and I think that's why the RFP for the market study wants special attention given to particular Southside nodes. For instance, I think you could easily get a streetcar line (or even a BRT line) down Cedar and MLK and redevelop places like Jolly & Cedar and Logan Square as mixed use lifestyle center-type/town center nodes putting parking in the back or wrapping a building around parking and bringing the retail to the sidewalk. And, good streetscaping is definitely needed, for sure. I envision these nodes being developed as little 'villages' surrounded by the existing low-density residential. There is, for instance, no reason why some cheap apartments couldn't have also been put above the stores of Logan Square when it was renovated.

South Lansing's future will is definitely with TOD's (Transit Oriented Development).
  • A New Ramp?

Looks like the city is finally seriously looking at building a ramp east of the river. They said it would most likely go east of the Lansing Center and would have some commercial space, I assume it will go on that lot at the corner. I'm just glad to see this given serious consideration, and I hope that they don't back out of this.