General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Eric, the city purchased the Center for the Arts for parking to house the MSP employees. What information do you have that the parking garage for AF has been put on hold, or that it was even reduced in size? I also think you're putting a great deal of hope that the surface lot to be built at Shiawassee and Seymour will only be temporary. When have you ever seen a former field turned into a parking lot and then turned back into another usage in any timely fashion? Furthermore, let's say that LCC decides to build their parking garage at Shiawassee and Washington like the LSJ reported, now you have a parking garage on Washington Square, the first ever parking garage on the square and at the entrance to the university, no less and right next door NCR.

From purely a planning perspective, any vote that would essentially force another parking garage along that two block stretch of Shiawassee, is just a mess.

BTW, a few last questions:

- Why do you think Jeffries (who led the opposition to the sell from as far as I can tell), ended up switching his vote?

- Why do you think that you were the only one who seems to have opposed the idea, altogether? Both Jeffries and Wood made their case that they supported the sell, in theory.

- Why do you think the LCC would be pushing so hard to aquire a garage hardly in tip-top shape?
  • There's a lot to digest from all these posts, so I only really have a few points.

First, Mr. Hewitt, you said something about AF expecting visitors for shopping and dining, does that mean there will be some public space in the building?

I have to say that the idea of putting a parking garage on Washington Sq is a huge mistake and the city needs to block that from happening, unless the ramp has ground floor retail and is wrapped on the upper floors with classrooms or something. b

Lastly, I still support the sale of the N Capitol Ramp for a few reasons: It would have given a boost to the parking fund, which could help build the two new ramps needed (In Stadium District and near MSP); The ramp would have been much improved, and would have the top occupied by a restaurant at the same time avoiding the construction of a new ramp in an unfavorable location also saving taxpayers money on the the new construction (we do pay LCC millages too); Lastly, why was price so important anyways? This was a sale between government entities whose boundaries overlap and whose fates are somewhat intertwined.
  • MM,

You are correct the Center for the Arts was purchased for a parking ramp for $900,000+, but Mr. Johnson indicated during the budget 2010 hearings that the administration would not develop this site until they have a new home for the Bores Head. The current plan is to put more ten hour meters in the Cherry Hill neighborhood to accommodate the MSP workers. Council cannot force the administration to develop one site before another. I agree that we should build the South-South Grand ramp before the Lansing Center ramp, but I cannot stop the development with only one vote (my vote).

I voted to approve the DEQ permit for a 1000 space parking ramp. This is different from the development agreement that I voted to approve last year for the AF with a 1200 space parking ramp. A development group has leaked that there may be an issue with the ramp and the D&P committee was stating a similar concern. If you would like I can meet you at my City office and show you some of the documents I have regarding this issue. If there is something I do not have I would be willing to have them pulled to share with you and the group. I can even show you the plans Mr. Johnson provided during budget regarding the new parking ramp at the Lansing Center.

“you're putting a great deal of hope that the surface lot to be built at Shiawassee and Seymour will only be temporary when have you ever seen a former field (correction former classroom building) turned into a parking lot and then turned back into another usage in any timely fashion?” First the LCC’s master plan shows a classroom building and a garden on that site. If you have seen something else on their master plan let me know. I am sure there may be things I have not seen. Timely is relative – I think 3-5 years is short term. Especially since LCC is indicating they also have a structural deficit of approximately $8M to deal with before they start making major investments. If you do not like what LCC is doing on the lot at Shiawassee and Seymour, I would recommend that we work together with Councilman Kaltenback, to encourage them to change their plans. I support Mr. Kaltenback’s efforts to prevent a parking ramp being built on the site. I would be happy to meet with you and him to discuss options for the use of the site. Also, I am not sure you are aware I was an LCC faculty member for nearly a decade and I do understand how the system works there.

Another parking structure on Washington Avenue would be no different than three parking structures in the Albert Street area in East Lansing. As long as there is a demand for the parking, the demand should be met. The city has an obligation to encourage development by providing adequate parking. “any vote that would essentially force another parking garage along that two block stretch of Shiawassee, is just a mess” There are parking structures at Allegan @ Capital, Allegan @ Grand, and Capital @ Kalamazoo, how is this any different?

You have indicated that you miss my former opponent. Can you tell me what you think I am not doing to meet the needs of the 1st Ward residents? Besides the fact that I feel I can think on my own without someone telling me how to vote, what did he provide that I am not. I am open to constructive criticism to improve my performance.

I have been impressed with this group’s insight in the past. What I am working on now is what to do with the North Precinct property. The state will not use this property (I will only discuss this in person face-to-face) and the City may not use this site based on current expectations.

Please remember that I am a senior policy analyst for my state office. My office is only 40% staffed and I am a senior analyst responsible for producing state policy statements. There have been a number of changes in my area due to the 2005 Deficit Reduction Act that I am working on system and policy changes for the Fall of 2009. This may result in delays in answering comments to this bulletin board.

If you or anyone would like to meet in person, I am willing to take you to lunch or coffee downtown.

Eric Hewitt
    Councilman
    Home 487-9593
    Office 483-4177
    See post above for email contacts.
  • BTW, a few last questions:

Why do you think Jeffries (who led the opposition to the sell from as far as I can tell), ended up switching his vote?

I cannot tell you what Mr. Jeffries is thinking. I do not take my questioning from him or anyone else on City Council to indicate there will be a change. Mr. Jeffries will have to answer your question.

- Why do you think that you were the only one who seems to have opposed the idea, altogether? Both Jeffries and Wood made their case that they supported the sell, in theory.

I am a financial analyst and I have worked with the Council's Auditor to determine if the current plan will work. I do not think it will work and I will not allow the city to expose itself for loss because a banking company thinks it is a good idea.

I cannot tell you what the others think. Believe it or not we do not speak to each other on a daily basis and I do not know what motivates my council colleagues to vote one way or another.

- Why do you think the LCC would be pushing so hard to aquire a garage hardly in tip-top shape?

I can show you the resolution that states the sale will provide LCC not only with the ramp but also the alley between the ramp and the LCC lot to the east. I am assuming that by signing the resolutions LCC will control the entire area. This would give them control of the entire block to build what ever they want in the near future.
  • edited May 2009
    There are parking structures at Allegan @ Capital, Allegan @ Grand, and Capital @ Kalamazoo, how is this any different?

It's not; but that's a red herring. If you'd like to know, though, I've always found it both ridiculous and undesireable (if one wants downtown to be more than a densified suburban office park and/or suburban playground that needs a gross amount of back street parking support) that Grand and Capitol have so many parking garages so close together. That the North Grand Annex is being brought down is something I'd thought I'd never see, and I'm happy about everytime I see the concrete monster.

BTW, I was asking you those hypotheticals about your colleagues for a reason, and I don't think it too much to ask given that you're part of a deliberative body and not an island unto yourself. You seemed to have no problem dealing in the hypothetical I asked you about LCC's potential motives, though. That you show such indifference to collegiality, you know the whole "I don't know or much care what their views are" is telling. Perhaps, that's suitable philosophy for an authoritarian mayorship, but what I am sure of is that that kind of attitude does not work on a city council, at least not to the betterment of the city.

I appreciate the thorough responses, for sure. However, I'm not any closer to agreeing with you, on this (I'm closer to Wood and Jeffries), and am not at all impressed with your around-the-way, passive-aggressive swipe at our former 1st Ward councilman who I'm now regretting not having given my vote to, instead. I need all that I need to know, now, so I'm moving on.
  • MM,

Have you run across an urban plan that would allow for a reduction in parking in the urban core? Once a city gets to a certain size (most urban planners say 1M+) mass-transit becomes a viable alternative. Unfortunately, I do not see Lansing hitting that mark for many years to come. All of the materials I have read regarding urban development indicate parking is a key component. I have proposed that Council change the G-1 zoning to include a 40% onsite parking requirement, but I have been told that would be too expensive and would drive development out of Lansing.

Yes I am part of a deliberative body. And yes I do talk to my colleagues about specific issues during prescribed time periods and I do not poll them to see where they stand on issues. Otherwise I could be in violation of the open meetings act, which I take very seriously. Also, I do not want to put words in their mouths without asking them first. When it comes to supporting an issue I seek input from my constituents whom I represent. That is why I regularly check discussion groups such as this one and host a monthly meeting.

All I can do is explain my position on matters. Everyone will not agree with me every time, but hopefully most of the time. You are correct and I apologize for the off hand remark towards my former opponent. But my question still stands, what do you feel I could be doing differently to represent the 1st ward?

Eric Hewitt
    Councilman
  • I agree that reducing the demand for downtown parking in a city like Lansing isn't feasible without losing the people who parked there. However, I would hardly say that having a ramp on Washington is no different than Capitol or Grand. Washington shouldn't have any parking ramps facing it unless the ramp is concealed, I'd say the same for Michigan. And Mr. Hewitt if you want an idea for a new ordinance how about every new parking ramp downtown must include some ground floor commercial space.

Also I don't know if LCC presented their renderings for a new ramp, but heres a link to them:
    LCC Projects
  • Has anyone seen anything about the University Corporate Research Park expanding? Driving down Collins Rd the other day I noticed that work had started in the big field south of the current buildings. Looks like drainage stuff right now. I didn't see anything about it on their website other than a couple links to images.
  • They are adding water and transportation infrastructure. It was in the paper a few months ago.
  • Wasn't there supposed to be another smart zone established around downtown, or did that already happen?