General Lansing Development

Comments

• edited April 2009
    I totally agree with MM's idea about connecting Detroit and Toledo. That would really heighten the value of the project for the Detroit area, and, as you said MM, open Detroit up to places like New York and D.C. It would seem as if that couldn't cost too much more, but I have a feeling we'll have to use some state money if we want to get that done. Anyone think it's feasible?
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's feasible. I think simply making the case that it opens up Michigan to the East Coast is case enough. But, you're right. The feds rarely ever pay for expansions, so the state would have to secure leasing an existing freight line between the two or would have to build dedicated passenger rail which hasn't happened anywhere.

BTW, this kind of brings me back to the comments about forcing a high-speed line up through Lansing instead of continuing on the very obvious Wolverine route along I-94. There is currently no Amtrak service between Lansing and Detroit. Once the Pere Marquette and Blue Water (Lansing's line) lines break off from the Wolverine in the southwest part of the state, they don't ever join, again. To get the high-speed line up to Lansing wouldn't just require switching lines, it'd require the construction or lease of an entirely new line between here in Detroit, which just doesn't happen unless a local and state governments fund construction a lease.

Here's a map of present lines in Michigan:

3295868547_12e7e7e876.jpg?v=0

Given that there is a connector bus between the Lansing and Detroit lines means that converting it to a rail line wouldn't be totally far-fetched, but Lansing and Detroit would have to show really show a need and put some money up front.
  • There is some fairly extensive rennovations going on to the Ruetter Park fountain. Today I see the entire fountain is fenced off, all the hedges are removed, some of the concrete path is tore up and construction equipment is in place. And the really exciting part is a brand new ornate metal fence is already in place encircling the fountain. The new fence matches the original iron fence (which is in really bad shape). The new fence is ~2 feet inside the old fence which is still in place. Since the new fence matches the old, I'm not sure if they're planning on leaving the old fence and fixing it up some, but that doesn't seem likely.
  • Speaking fountains, does anyone know if the center of Durant Park on the northend of downtown ever had a fountain? The center of the circle is filled with flowers, but it'd appear that there was also a fountain there, once, too.
  • Sparrow struck a deal with a helicopter emergency company to bring in about 400 patients to the hospital a year through the helicopter landing pad: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090430/NEWS01/304300003
  • Downtown Dog House (Allegan and Washington) has a nice permanent sign up and when I walked by tonight there were people moving around inside and it looks like they will be opening soon.
  • Allegan and Washington? Really? You've got the bread place on one corner, the sandwich shop across the street, the state office building to the south, and the bank on the southeast corner.
  • It's going in where the Famous Taco was, so right next to Great Harvest on Allegan.
  • Oh, cool. So, is this a chain or a new business? It'll be good to see a restaurant back in that spot. We've been through a Skyline Chili and Famous Taco, now. I hope this outlashs both of them.
  • They have had a sign up that said "Grill & Bar Coming Soon" since Famous Taco closed, the owners of the Famous Taco were supposed to run the new place. I haven't heard anything about this place, so any news or details would be new to me.