General Lansing Development

Comments

• I mentioned it when their brownfield proposal came up. If I remember right from reading through the packet, they're going to keep the front portion of the old building they're tearing down at the corner and build onto it. I think they'll also be building a new body shop and doing a couple other small additions. Altogether it's supposed to be at least $3.5 million worth of work.
  • I don't remember seeing anything on it but that isn't too strange. I'm surprised that GM is letting them keep the old facade. They are pretty strict when it comes to their image standards. Even Terry Hanks wasn't able to avoid renovating.
  • IS the standard for every building on the property, or just the main sales office? Because I guess that could make the difference. But, yeah, the auto companies are rather particular about the designs of their affiliated dealerships, which is a shame because while it creates something familiar community to community, that means they are cookie cutter.
  • edited October 2015
    I could see the dealership being allowed to keep old buildings in some cases, they can probably even design their own buildings with approval. Anyways, I'm just going off of memory as I think the brownfield plan was in the "Letters from the Mayor" section of the July 27th council packet which isn't available anymore, at least not where I normally find them. My post regarding this was on July 25th on page 101 of this thread.

Bill Snethkamp will be building a new Fiat dealership at Pennsylvania & I-96, where the Governors Inn was and the Sonic was proposed. It also says they will add Chrysler and Jeep to their lineup: CBRE press release (pdf)
  • I think that having an auto dealership in such a prominent spot on Michigan Ave. might not be the best use but I think it might be appropriate in this case Lansing being the place were we make the best cars in America. I am hoping it does not look like the most recent dealership style, like on Pennsylvania Ave. were some of those buildings could be a terminal for a small airport. The different thing about the Story Olds building was that the showroom was right on the street surrounded by grass and trees in front with the cars for sale sort of behind the showroom, not all lined up out on the street. The Ford dealership now Staples was the same, modern show room on Michigan car lots off Michigan. It would seem hopeful that they are saving part of the old building and would be great to front Michigan Ave with buildings not cars.
  • The showroom has long since been redone. All that's being done is the addition of a new showroom and probably some minor renovations around the property.
  • Bill Snethkamp already added Chrysler and Jeep to their Pennsylvania store when they closed their Mason store. Evidently Champion Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram on West Saginaw was fighting the addition of those franchises so close to them. That will be nice to have that empty lot filled, especially because it's been looking pretty sad lately. Fiat will draw more customers to South Lansing too. Ann Arbor and Grandville are the closest dealers to Lansing.
  • The LSJ has an article on the Feldman's renovation. Three buildings on the back of the site, I assume, will be turn down. The building on the corner will be partially demolished as hood said above. Along with the addition of a new bodyshop, they will be adding unto the showroom and remaining service buildings.

BTW, they mention the demolition of an old church turned showroom that sits next to the offices. Is this the corner building they are partially demolishing? That's the only building next to the offices. It'd really be good if there was a site plan for this project or something. I'm also interested in what church used to occupy this structure.
  • I was just by the site and they have razed the rest of the building at the corner. Now I'm wondering which building they're supposed to be saving part of, or have plans changed?
  • Hallelujah! City crews where all out along Mount Hope, today, between Aurelius and the border with East Lansing paving over parts of the street. I'd really like to see a reconstruction, but they patched up the work potholes. Some of these were big enough to throw your car out of alignment.