General Lansing Development

Comments

• Well, well, well...the old BP station at the southeast corner of Saginaw and Homer near Frandor is going to be remade into a tamle joint. Despite its small size, this has to be one of the most prominent pieces of blight in the entire region just given its location and the length of time its been vacant.
    LANSING - Think punk. Think Black Flag. Think true '80s punk, the music, the atmosphere.

It’s not a concert.

It’s Punk Taco, a taqueria and tamale joint, slated to open in the spring.

They’ve broken ground. The gas pumps have been removed. They hope to open in the spring.

Not just your everyday taco place, Punk Taco will offer a fast, fresh area. It'll be somewhat like a Subway, but with a dining area, as well. And they have a full liquor license.

Instead of winding your way around poles or bars in the fast, fresh area, Punk Taco will corral its patrons with a bank of coolers full of craft beer and wine, which you can select while you're waiting. Once seated at tables, patrons can order cocktails.

Interesting concept. lol Anyway, so glad to see this site being redeveloped, and particularly with such a novel concept.
  • City Pulse also had something on this: New In Town- City Pulse

It's a pretty eye catching design, I'll be glad to see the place there.
  • While driving around these past few sunny days I really noticed how nice the Capitol Building looks after the rehabilitation. They replace many missing details on the dome which make it interesting just to look at it and to pick out the different fancy features. The color and finish of the paint is so much better than just white, and the amber lighting is much nicer,they show detail much better. So take a good long look at the Capitol while downtown for the Silver Bells it's looks beautiful!
  • edited November 2015
    A bit more news came out on the redevelopment of the Days Inn on Saginaw out near the freeway on the west side. The Delta Township Planning Commission will make a decision on its rezoning next month. The project is fleshed out and will include a five-story Hilton Garden Inn with a small (5,000 square feet) conference room as was assumed when this first his the news, but the other news is that the site will also hold a coffee shop, a restaurant, and 3,700 square feet of speculative retail space. This goes before before the planning commission on December 14th, the full township board hopes to have it approved before New Year, and construction could start after demolition in the spring or summer.

Anyone know if Delta Township puts documents on their website like Lansing does? I couldn't seem to find anything on the township planning commission webpage except for applications and such.
  • The most recent Delta Township board meeting agenda had a site plan but no renderings or elevations in it: 11/16/2015 Agenda, Delta Township board agendas/minutes. There are agendas for the planning commission here, but I went back to June and found nothing on the Hilton development.

delta%20hilton.jpg

It's somewhat disappointing to see the hotel set so far back from Saginaw, but I guess this sort of configuration is to be expected at this location. It will still be nice to see a quality hotel on the west side again.
  • edited November 2015
    I'm disoriented looking at this. Is Saginaw to the right? To push it back on the site is bad enough, but why have the front of the hotel turned away from Saginaw? I don't get it. I also love how they want us to know how many more parking spaces they added than what is required. lol We will never learn. The whole point of redevelopment is to try and make sure what's going there, now, doesn't end up like what failed at the site, before. The only "improvement" seems to be that this is "new," and that's it.

Anyway, meh. Though it sounds like I'm mad, I'm really not since I really don't expect much from Delta Township, anyway. lol
  • I also think a more urban design would be so great, buildings up front at the street side, and parking out back. It does make me angry as well in the sense of why spend millions of dollars to make an ugly building in the first place. why such short sighted design, it could be anywhere USA. Delta township is very concerned that everyone knows it is sub-urban place. West Saginaw is really an ugly stretch of road as ugly as any in the country. Would some oversight over what is built mean that they give up the wild west mentality of this my land I'll build what ever I want there. I don't think they will ever give up that way of thinking.
  • edited November 2015
    @MichMatters Yeah, in that site plan Saginaw is to the right and I-96 is up top.

The hotel being pushed so far back from Saginaw is certainly disappointing. I don't understand why the developer of the hotel would even want the site configured like that. I would think having the hotel front Saginaw would make it seem a little more prestigious, as opposed to being an island in a sea of parking.

Should we be starting a Delta Township/Grand Ledge development thread??
  • Yeah, I was thinking a Delta Township thread would be in order. There has started to be enough development in the metro that it makes sense to keeping seperating out sections of the metro like we did with the east side.
  • edited November 2015
    Somewhat related to development; Lansing poised to become entrepreneurial hotbed.