General Lansing Development

Comments

• If you have not already read it, the story about the trail improvements coming this year in the City Pulse is very interesting. I think they are saying that much of the river trail will be repaved like the Hawk Island loop is now. That loop right now is the absolute best road in Lansing! Too bad we can't drive on it! I would like to see a more natural solution to the erosion problems along the river by GM. A more natural slop of stones and soil planted to hold the soil during high water, it would be all green and full of life at most times. Metal "seawalls" although effective make the river more like a canal. I also like hearing about a park in Lansing I never knew about. Maybe I will check it out during this strangely warm weather this weekend.

• Why don't they just pave the whole thing and get the pain over with! Then we could call it one of the longest and ugliest strips of concrete and black top in the country, complete with abandoned buildings full of junk that you can look at through the windows ,then put it on the tourist maps. It is a story today on LSJ.com.

• Yeah, and one of the reasons they cite for moving is the decreased parking due to the substation. Why is the historical center moving to the mall? Is this a foreshadowing that the mall is the next "historic" site?

I guess the first nail in the coffin was really 496, as that cut off these properties from the rest of the neighborhood.
  • What's the difference between the City of Lansing's Committee on Development and Planning and the Planning Board? D&P has meeting agendas and minutes that date back some time and continue through February 2017, but the Planning Board doesn't list any agendas after November 2016.

• It's my understanding that the Cooley-Haze house needs a lot of mechanical upgrades that the organization couldn't afford. Meridian Mall seems like an odd place, but with mall lease rates rapidly declining, it might increase their visibility. I too have a sneaky suspicion there are other factors going on. The people I know in the organization are actually excited to get the Women's Hall of Fame to an area where they will get more people involved and more visits. With the exception of special events, they get virtually no "walk-in" traffic.

• Jared the Committee on Development & Planning is a city council committee. The Lansing Planning Board is an advisory board of citizens picked by the mayor and confirmed by the council. The board handles things like zoning and such; the city council committee and then the whole city council reviews their recommendations.

• Lansing and East Lansing are talking about merging their fire departments and ambulance services.

East Lansing City Council members approved a $63,000 contract Tuesday to study the feasibility of combining ambulance and fire administration with Lansing.

The Plante Moran study will explore the creation of a fire authority that would combine some ambulance and fire administrative functions between the two departments and the possibility of a dedicated tax to pay for operations.

The study comes about five years after a $77,000 study by Plante Moran examining similar consolidation options among six area fire departments.

The two departments already share a chief, so this would kind of be the next natural step. Of course, the rank-and-file aren't exactly happy as they very rarely are in merger talks, but there doesn't seem to be any outright hostility to the idea, at least.

• As always, just about any incremental step towards regionalism is a good thing.

BTW, I think a thread dedicated to regionalism news and discussion might be a good idea.

• Thanks for sharing that! Deadline is March 20th and the top 100 ideas each get a $25 gift card. Only downside is dealing with the PDF to submit your entry :wink: