General Lansing Development

Comments

• Honestly...that sounds really cool.

• It really does. It may even reignite the market a little bit. I know I'll be taking my kids down there all the time. It'd be nice if they did something with the underpass to make it a bit more accessible to the museum district. I mean, you can go under there right now but it's dark and ped walkways aren't that great.

• edited May 2018

No big news in the City Pulse this week, but I thought you'd all be glad to hear straight from the horses mouth that Pat Gillespie is done with the "crayon colors" on his buildings, I know I was.

Don’t expect Gillespie’s next phases of development to be crayon-colored like his recent developments, he said.

“I think those crayons are dull,” he said. “I am putting them away.”

Rotary Park renderings from the LSJ:

I do hope they keep the playground. I was glad it escaped the chopping block when they built Marketplace and the new City Market. The greatest part of this park, though, will be the concert venue under the bridge. I grew up in the neighborhood, and Riverfest use to put vendors and such under the old Shiawassee Street bridge. It was great experience especially at night.

• I am not taking "total" credit for the nighttime illumination plan but it was one of these ideas I submitted to "the penny for your thoughts" campaign that they chose to publish on their page. I never got the $25 dollars, however! This will encourage people to use the area at night and I think will be very nice with the lights reflecting off the water. I could see solar powered lights for the whole downtown portion of the river trail.

• Thanks for sharing the idea even if you don't get rewarded for it!
  • edited May 2018

This is a doozy of a story about the former Church of the Nazarene building at 1300 Eureka. I'm not even sure how to describe the reuse. lol I guess I'd call it a very rough incubator. I had had no idea that church had moved out. If you're ever around the Sparrow Professional Building, you've probably seen the building, which is behind the Ronald McDonald House. It's a relatively grand structure with its greek columns and all, but being set right and tight in a residential neighborhood, it's always felt very human-scaled.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2018/05/14/fledge-lansing/601471002/

• edited May 2018

Looks like the days of the City Market are numbered. Everyone's being pretty tight-lipped, but what kicked this story off is that the last major tenant, Waterfront Grill, is not having its lease renewed.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2018/05/16/waterfront-bar-and-grill-leave-city-market-end-june/615207002/

I don't know what they should do with the place. What I would do is tear off the aluminum siding and build it back up with brick and stone whatever else they decide what its use should be. I remember before they'd planned the building I'd said the city should built residential space above it (though with the idea, of course, that the market would remain the focus). Well, be careful what you wish for, I guess.

I'll say it forever, but more than any other boondoggle during his time, this is a uniquely Bernero failure. This happened because he treated the actual market as an after-thought.

• edited May 2018

I've never thought that was a good location for the market. I think the city should seriously consider moving the market to the south side (maybe holmes\mlk or holmes\pleasant grove). There is a huge need for decent grocers down there and most of the population lives in that area anyways. It wouldn't be a downtown placemaker like some want, but it'd be used a lot more.

As for the existing market, I've been kicking around an idea for a restaurant incubator - open to the public, restaurateurs could learn their chops in a communal kitchen. Something like that could be really cool down there, especially with the incoming park.

• I really like the idea of a restaurant incubator. As much as the new City Market has been a failure, and really was a failure from the design stage, the location is very valuable and the city shouldn't pass it off to a private developer. The new upgrades for the Rotary Park should better the City Market area, so it's a bit sad to hear of these new upgrades when at the same time hearing that the City Market could close down.