General Lansing Development

Comments

• from this weeks City Pulse: City, LCC exploring Capitol Ave. as site for performing arts center

I actually think that N Washington/Capitol is a better lotaction for a performing arts center. It would help this area so much more than it would help the south side of downtown, which is already rebounding quite well. There needs to be a major project on or near N Washington to get things rolling and what could be better than a performing arts center.

Also, just to remind everyone this years first Cruisin' the Gut is tomorrow from 3-10.
  • I completely agree, though, I'm really getting tired of talk. Bernero has been talking for years about quite a few projects. It's time, especially in these tough times, to start finding creative ways to get things done before city government really doesn't have the means to help these types of projects.
  • edited June 2007
    Concerning the building gaining a second story on the 600 block of East Michigan Avenue, I noticed, today, that what they've done is taken off the slopped roof and any attic that may have existed. It's only raising the height of the one building, too.

BTW, it appears the Gillespie Group recently bought a small lot and building north of the Stadium as Gillespie has put up a huge banner on a old building on the southside of the Shiawassee between Larch and Cedar and one in the lot just in between the city garage and the former Bonnie's Place location, now a local biker bar. I wonder what his plans are...? It appears that the Stadium District won't be the only thing he'll be developing around the stadium.
  • edited June 2007
    New Changes Give Hope to Downtown Merchants

^^ There is an article today about the growing amount of people downtown and some of the new businesses coming in.
  • I'd like to see another (non-bar) entertainment venue downtown, like a movie theater. Something to get people downtown and hanging around, like they would before and after a movie. I can't think of a location where it would work though...
  • edited June 2007
    What Lansing really needs is a decent music venue. Mac's gets some stuff, and the Temple Club did too, but Lansing gets avoided when it comes to decent music. I know one reason is that Detroit and GR are so much bigger, but I think another BIG reason is that there's isn't a decent venue anywhere outside of MSU's campus (Wharton/Auditorium). I mean MSU has gotten bigger acts on campus in the last year than any of the bars/clubs in the whole city of Lansing.
  • I agree about music venues. Temple closed like the week before Cary Brothers was coming to town. That pissed me off.
  • I think there is plenty of room for even more entertainment options on both Washington and Michigan. I think there needs to be at lease 2 "big-city" style clubs, like X-cel and any number of additional bars similar to The Firm and Tavern on the Sq. I think that retail should be concentrated on the sidestreets, like Allegan, Washtenaw & Kalamazoo and perhaps Grand could become downtowns main retail strip.

Also, LSJ reported that they are actually closing Washington for Blues on the Square. When they said it would be replacing the concerts in front of City Hall I assumed that it would be on the same scale, but obviously they plan on making these events pretty big in comparison. I really hope it does well, which I think it will.
  • When are they supposed to reopen the other block of Washington Square? I thought that was supposed to happen this summer.
  • The CSO schedule showed N Washington being reopened this year, and I seen some things on the City Council agendas about it. I thought the work should have already started.