General Lansing Development

Comments

• Those railings have been up longer than that. That's actually the floor that Boji Group where has its offices.
  • edited October 2008
    They haven't been up that long. I don't think it could have been any longer than a month at the most.
  • Anyone notice that the old Theo's (most recently Lee's Buffet) at Larch and Lake Lansing/Douglas on the northside has been completely razed? Anyone know what's supposed to be going at this prominent corner?
  • I noticed that last week. I have no idea of any plans there, I don't recollect anything from the council meeting, so if there are any plans it's probably nothing special.
  • My dad was told that the state had to move some it's cables from poles behind the Town Center Building in preperation to tear it down. For those of you that don't know the Town Center building is the two floor building owned by Cooley at Capitol & Kalamazoo, it was proposed as a site for a performing arts center. I have no clue why they are tearing it down, though I assume it's simply for parking.
  • Looks like the burned-out warehouse on Kazoo is finally on its way out the door...

Crews preparing for eventual demolition of Kalamazoo St. warehouse
  • Council considers $440k Troppo loan

I'm glad to see this moving forward. In the article they say that the bottom floors of One Michigan Ave have already been boarded up in preperation for this. Has anyone noticed that themselves?
  • Yeah, there are boards on all the windows facing south on the 1st floor (I can't remeber if any higher floors have boards but I don't think they do).
  • Actually, if I remember correctly, the boards were up last week.
  • Some good news amongst all the bad:
    $6M for Lansing housing inspires hope

Christine Rook • clrook@lsj.com • November 11, 2008 • From Lansing State JournaL

Bernero launched a community task force last month to come up with a spending plan for the money. The task force is targeting eight key areas of the city, including the neighborhoods of Urbandale, Oak Park and Baker Donora, a handful of sections on the city's north side and then the southwest quadrant where Davis lives.

In general, the goal is to put families into homes. There are a number of tools to accomplish that, such as offering direct down payment assistance for residents or demolishing and rebuilding run-down properties or rehabbing others. There's even a plan to create a "neighborhood empowerment center" in the Comstock Park area. The center would house services such as foreclosure-prevention counseling.

Abandoned homes attract trouble - vandals, drug users and thieves, looking to strip a house of its copper piping, according to city officials.

"This is a start," Bernero said of the $6 million grant. "It sounds like a lot of money, but really we are - in a sense - just scratching the surface of a very large problem."