The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• http://www.eastlansinginfo.org/content/new-corner-plans is reporting an update on the corner lot at Grand River and Abbot Rd.
    (T)he property is likely to include a hotel with 150 rooms, retail space on the ground level, and residential apartments on the upper floors.

About 40-50% of the retail space might be used for a downtown grocery store, Oakley told me last night. He said that in conversations with City Council members, they had made it clear they are very interested in having a grocery store at the space.
  • It's great to see the developer behind this, it looks like they've done a few good quality projects. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't indicate any sort of time frame for the project but I guess that's not too surprising at this point. I'm growing more and more comfortable that the City Center 2 saga is finally about to come to a close.
  • This is such an important corner, I hope they present a plan that will just blow their socks off at first sight, because I think E.L. will try to micro-manage a plan that was less than excellent from the start. This would lead to further delay. I bet people from Ann Arbor snicker[what a mess this place is] every time they pass that corner, lets put a stop to that!
  • I really like that the city is requesting a grocery store at the location. If they can get a good urban grocer in there many students living in the dorms across the street can use it as well as other students that are on their way home from classes on campus and heading north on Abbot Rd.
  • There was a grocery on Grand River down in the 500 block. I think it was a Spartan Store or maybe an IGA. The store was always busy, it had this cool big glass electric eye that opened the automatic door when you crossed in front.
    I have seen lots of urban super markets do very well. Many have parking ramps above the store. It would help give downtown EL more of a real urban village with stores and facilities for local residents who may live within walking distance, not just students. I think that people using the BRT could also pick up some groceries there on the way home.
  • I like this recent idea but just build something good. We would like this property to be transformative, but one building is not necessarily going to make/break the city. Build something decent that makes sense in the overall planning strategy of the city. If we keep talking about all the great things that could be there nothing will ever be built. For example, having a grocery store there makes sense for many, but it doesn't for others. Improve downtown one building, project, initiative, etc. at a time.
  • I just hope the council/residents don't try to micro manage this proposal. Suggesting/wishing for a grocery store is fine, but I hope it doesn't become an expectation or requirement. Personally, I really doubt a grocery store would do well there, within a couple miles of that intersection there's many shopping options: Krogers, Meijers, Fresh Thyme, Whole Foods, Foods for Living and a handful of smaller specialty/international stores, all of these are accessible via mass transit.

What East Lansing really needs is to lift there income from food requirement on liquor licenses so they can attract some real clubs and real nightlife.
  • I was elaborating on the idea of a grocery in a new development as a part of a way to animate the building with people, it could be a restaurant court, anything but a bank or a Rite-Aid,laws offices, or medical clinic. Maybe a nightclub, and a small bar or two is also a good idea. It would just be nice to see some people at that location after so long it being a dead spot. I agree however that it should not turn into a requirement that a grocery be included. It would be a great corner for a theater/performance space with a cool marquee that you could see as you come up Michigan Ave.
  • It's worth noting that at one point a small (I think 500 seat?) theater was supposed to go in the main corner building, it would've been managed by Wharton. I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of that idea resurfacing. I agree with you on all the things that shouldn't go there.
  • It looks like things will be moving a little quicker than expected with this, there will be a public hearing with the East Lansing Planning Commission on September 14th for the building at Grand River and Abbott. The building will be 12 floors, with 150 hotel rooms, 175 apartments and underground parking, they estimate the cost at $75 million.

Public Notice - City Pulse

DDA Staff Memo - pdf