The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• At 140 feet, wouldn't this be the tallest formal proposal for this site? I'm actually surprised since EL has been so height-phobic. This would be the tallest building downtown by quite a bit.
  • If anything I hope this project has quality retail space, for which there is much need in EL. There will always be turnover and some empty retail space. But the economic opportunities cannot rely on the space on Grand River Ave, which I assume is expensive. I expect that, as there is more retail space created downtown, businesses will be attracted to a more diverse and maybe affordable area. Also, yes the grocery store would be ideal, but EL is seriously lacking coffee shops and, especially, bookstores. EL certainly sustain a few more coffee shops and is in desperate need for a local bookstore.
  • I haven't been to them, but Google is showing me there is the Archives and Curious Book Shops on Grand River and three comic stores in the downtown area, I'd say that's OK for a community EL's size in the internet age. I could see downtown EL supporting a couple more coffee shops though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Starbucks or other large chain may go into this project.
  • Not much a Starbucks fan, but their is one right on Grand River and Charles. I go to the one on Grand River and Stoddard every once in a blue moon. The store locator on their website shows three more on campus, alone, though their hours cater specifically to students. There might be some room for other small chains or independents, but I've never thought of East Lansing as underserved when it comes to cafes. I guess there could be another book store or two, but like you said, there are two right there on Grand River, too.

I'll say that I was really sad to see Barnes & Noble go. Really creative layout; one of the more grand retail spaces in downtown East Lansing no longer a retail space.
  • If you are into a unique used bookshop [they have some new books} you should go to Curious Book Shop. The place is packed with every kind of book, there are books pamphlets and posters from MSU and Lansing history. You can not leave without buying something. What happened to Jacoundry's [spelling?] book shop, it was kind of like a pre-Barnes and Noble with that modern sort of casual and comfy feeling in the shop. That would be a nice addition to the new development and book shop/cafe.
    Coffee shop yes! Starbucks no!
  • Curious Book Shop is a local independent bookstore but I wouldn't say it fits within the contemporary idea of a bookstore, which tends to be more inviting and a place for people to get together or hang out some time. Barnes and Nobles and other big corporate bookstores come to mind. But there are plenty of independent bookstores in the US that have survived the Amazon era by making their business more about the experience than about the books themselves (buy coffee while doing homework, meeting, etc). Given that EL is a college town with a big research university, I consider that the city is barely serves this need.

Just as a grocery store is important to attract people to live downtown, having bookstores/coffee shops are essential businesses to entertain and attract people downtown, especially the young professionals and high earners that are so desired by local govts.
  • One way to fix that would be to open up a branch of the East Lansing Public Library in downtown, but adjust the rules of the library so talking on your phone or working with friends isn't a problem.

The MSU Library's first floor has a section with coffee shops and collaborative tables and it functions quite well for this purpose. Other areas of the library are quiet and more "library-like".

I think that many libraries go underused and people feel compelled to buy a coffee when all they wanted was a community space to read or do their work. Libraries are great for this.
  • I was just pointing out that there is a great little bookshop on Grand River, of course it is not like bookshop/cafe type place. I am not sure that business model is working so well these days, aren't they closing a lot of Barnes and Noble shops?
  • Thanks to gomsu for providing this link over in the General East Lansing discussion thread: Images of Proposed New Building Made Available; Parking Plan Unclear

100_grand_river_ave_arial_aug_2016.jpg

100_grand_river_ave_streetview_aug_2016.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this design. I love the setback and the multiple tiers at the corner, I also like that they're using so many of the rooftops. I think this is the best proposal so far.
  • The LSJ's story on this project says that the developer has cancelled plans to build this due to an unknown city ordinance that requires 50% owner occupied housing in B-3 zoning districts (which this is part of). The developer here says that there is only a market at this corner for college students and that mixing college students with families in the same building will not be successful. He also says that any specific ratio is a negative for developers, as they may have to shift their plans due to market changes but the ratio wouldn't allow them. Pat Gillespie is quoted in the article saying that he had to switch 10 condos from the Stadium District to apartments due to a softening condo market.

The city looks like they are trying to make some changes, relaxing the required owner occupying percentage down to 25% and increasing the boundaries of the project to let this include the proposal at Evergreen Arms but it seems like it might be too little too late. East Lansing government is dead set on putting full-time residents in downtown East Lansing and think that they have enough student housing already.

I couldn't imagine what Disney would do if Orlando said that there was too much Disney-oriented housing around the parks and not enough year-round residents. East Lansing can't keep pretending that it has strong demand for year round residents downtown. The market can decide that for them. These proposals are doing nothing but creating larger developments on the fringes of town. For example, the Gateway project by Valley Court Park didn't have the 50% requirement because it is just outside of the B-3 zone. And developments like SkyVue, apartments by Hannah Plaza, and in East Lansing's Northern Tier are showing that developers are ready and willing to cater to students, even building high rises, but the city government has built walls to keep them out.