The Abbot & The Graduate (Park District)

Comments

• I'm tired of developers big ideas. EL's north side should be a lesson. Scale it down already. Turning EL into skyscraper central isn't doable anymore.
  • edited May 2009
    Huh? The Northern Tier is exactly what downtown East Lansing shouldn't be doing nor taking any lessons from.
  • Building a 10 or 12 story building in downtown East Lansing wouldn't really change the character that much, when you consider that the Marriot is already 8 stories. It would simply be one larger building at a corner that has a slightly smaller building in it's place already.
  • I would love to see more large buildings in EL, within reason of course. Regardless of what some EL residents would like to think, EL is not a quaint little town, it is home to a major university so they need to start acting like it. Larger buildings is just one small part of the big city equation, but never the less an important one and I'm sure a more impressive downtown across from campus would help to retain student's also.
  • This is just my opinion, but I think City Center II is right around where I'd put a cap. I think some of EL's college town atmosphere would be lost if it had a downtown like Lansing. I think 8-12 stories is the max for EL. One of the things I love about Lansing metro, is I can be in Lansing, a place more like Grand Rapids or go over to EL, a place like Ann Arbor, depending on my mood. Neither of the other two cities have that. We have two distinct downtowns that are a 10 min. bus ride and that's something very cool and unique to Lansing. There are certainly ways to improve both, in the case of Lansing it is things like Ballpark North and Capitol Club, and in EL it's things that retain the college town vibe. Midrise and taller buildings are especially NOT college town vibes in my opinion so I wouldn't want to see that lost.

With that said, I'll be very excited if this gets off the ground since you'll have two new anchors to downtown EL (City Center on the West end and Albert Place on the East end). Together it will give the area a feel of prosperity and growth, which is really important for attracting people.
  • Just for clarification I meant more 6-12 floor buildings, with maybe a few taller exceptions. I personally think East Village will be scaled very well for East Lansing and MSU.
  • It got another 90-day extension to get financing in place. I think I read in another article that this is the fourth extension, and that Strathmore has had problems with two other developments in Michigan which is worrisome to me. I still think this has a reasonable chance of happening, there seems to be alot of support from a variety of places including the local government so that's good. I'd really like to see this going though, this project will really complete downtown E.L. as far as big developments in my mind for the near future.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=10545599&nav=menu25_2
  • It seems like City Center II is continuing to move forward. The latest that I heard was that all but one property had been acquired for the site. The East Lansing City Council meeting tonight had a mention about relocating one of the properties that is on the site and some contract negotiations that are part of the relocation. I expect that this project will get built, but it is moving at a snails pace.
  • Despite earlier reports, the State News is reporting today that City Center II is not facing foreclosure. The Ingham County Legal News apparently posted a notice stating that Strathmore was about $3.6 million in debt on its mortgage, but the situation appears to have been resolved between them and Huntington National Bank.

Even though this was an apparent mistake, it certainly doesn't make the project look any rosier. I just hope they can secure the remaining financing ASAP.
  • Has anyone seriously looked at the design renderings? It looks very oppressive, like some kind of prison or fortress with that large blank wall hovering above street level.

http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/Home/Departments/PlanningDevelopment/MajorInitiatives/CityCenterII/Renderings/

Even with the little flags hung off the side, it makes the apartments above seem like their hiding from the street. So instead of walking past a friendly, open facade of windows and balconies, it will seem like you're just walking past another big box store. I'm guessing the roof of that big block will become a dumping ground for cigarettes and beer cups.