Capitol Club Tower (Proposed high rise condos!!!)

Comments

• edited September 2009
    No, there was no requirement, but your reasoning isn't very solid, either. The reason to upgrade the garage could simply be to make more money by making it more attractive. They've probably already made back their money on it, and everything since is just gravy. In other words, it's a revenue source the developers never had before. To be honest, they've been marketing the garage more competently and forcefully than they've been marketing the proposed tower.

BTW, there is a story on the garage renovation (with a rendering, in fact) somewhere back in the thread in which they described exactly what they are going to do to it. So, none of this (i.e. the new look) is a surprise or anything new.
  • I just wouldn't think a "prettier" garage would make any more money than an "ugly" garage, so I wouldn't see the point in making asthetic improvements (structural would be a different story) for the garage itself. Based on comments that have been made during the discussions around LCC and the N. Capitol ramp It sounds like the demand for parking is much higher than the supply, so there wouldn't be much incentive to put money into a ramp that is already established...that was my reasoning.
  • A 'pretty' garage may not be a game changer in the parking market, but when added to other improvements it counts toward something. By your own reasoning, if beautification of these things doesn't count towards anything, they'd not even be sinking money into it even if the tower was a go because tower residents would buy a spot in it, anyway, since it'd be directly adjacent to the tower. Fact is, they are making it more aesthetically pleasing because it's good for their parking business, period. That they are upgrading it isn't some hint that the tower is a go is my point.
  • Work being done to the South Grand Ramp:
    IMG_0255.jpg
  • Not really much new news, or news, at all, but there was a small blurb in the LSJ, yesterday, stating that the project has gone from a mostly residential focus to a mixed used focus (something I'd argued would have made the plan more viable, all along), but the developer declined to comment any further and is still looking for the financing he's been looking for since the beginning of this project.
  • I really respect the developers for trying to do something here, I think they have the best intentions and this is a project that will probably be viewed in 5-6 years as ahead of its time. Shame its been caught up in the great recession... maybe it'll get revived some day but its hard to be anything but pessimistic now. I must say, they could have sat on their hands and done nothing but they've really made the ramp look a lot better.
  • I'm hardly pessimistic myself. I think given the state of things, especially the economy, Lansing is doing extremely well. I still expect this project to happen in some form, and if it doesn't then I'm sure another will come along. Look at whats happening right now, The economy is the worst it's been in almost 70 years and Lansing's downtown has more going on now than in a very long time. Just think about the potential when the economy recovers.
  • Just a heads up, but since no one in the city is willing to talk about this one, I decided to write Grooters (developer of the 400-foot River House in GR), who'd bought into the project a few months after it was proposed. Anyway, one of their reps said they are no longer involved in the project. How long they've been out of the project, I'm not sure, but only the Lansing guys are running it, now.
  • That's too bad. I assume this to have a pretty large impact on the project. What do you think about the prospects of this project?
  • I got a haircut at City Salon (formerly Goodfellas Salon...it's no longer an all male salon) which is next door to the Capitol Club office. The door was propped slightly open and it was gutted and the window was covered with sheets. Not sure what that means but doesn't seem like it would be a good sign.