Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum

Comments

• It looks to be pretty closed off to me. It looks like the entrance on the campus side will be removed and there will only be the entrance off of Grand River. There is a small section of the current parking lot that looks slated to hold benches and planters, thus removing parking spaces.

2009-12-17_0959.png
  • edited December 2009
    MichMatters,

I know the rendering shows an area labeled "staff parking and loading dock," but I believe that's just a small loading dock area. As you mentioned in your post above, spaces actually start right around the area where the benches and lighting are supposed to be placed. However, they also then wrap around running parallel with Grand River in the area of the proposed plaza.

I definitely agree with you that the pigmented concrete could be really cool if done correctly. It would work perfectly with the design of the building, the roof in particular.
  • edited December 2009
    I was only looking at the entrance from Grand River, my only point continuing to be that if they had closed off the lot, it wouldn't be rendered into the image.
  • Sorry Mich, I didn't catch that it was you posting in between Jared's comments. You make a good point, but it seems to me that they need to plan things out a bit more before taking any action in terms of construction of the proposed plaza. They're making it seem right now that they'd have one strip of "barrier free parking" in the northeast corner, the plaza to the west of that, and then the "staff parking and loading dock" in the southwest corner? Doesn't seem like a brilliant plan.
  • Do you guys think it would inappropriate to put an entry about this museum on Lansing wikipedia page? I am 50/50 on this...it's not in Lansing proper so half of me says no, it doesn't belong on there. But E. Lansing/MSU and Lansing are so connected and this is a big enough of a thing that half of me says it would be good to have it there. What are your thoughts?

I've been trying to get things on the wikipedia page to make sure it's up to date and comprehensive, so if the majority of the responses are in favor of it I'll add it. However, I've not figured out how to put pictures on there so I don't make those updates. I was prompted to get your thoughts on this with all of the Springhill, TN GM people coming up here there's a good chance alot of people will be looking at the wikipedia page to get an idea of what's going on in Lansing. Also, on a sidenote someone fairly recently made a HUGE improvement to the LAN airport wikipedia page. Good job if one of you did that.
  • edited December 2009
    Sparty,

I do think parking is something of interest, and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Personally, though, I like that a lot of the planning is giving the auto much mind. I imagine that given the limited parking on this part of campus, anyway, that they expect people to park in the nearby downtown and campus garages and walk, that and it's along a major bus line.

Micro,

Yeah, given the famous architect and the scope of the museum, I guess it may be appropriate to add it to Lansing's page. A good thing to do may be to see how the page deals with other regional institutions, such as how they incorporate MSU into Lansing's page. I haven't added any update to the Lansing page in ages since as far as I'm concerned it's already quite extensive for a page on a city the size of Lansing (i.e. less is more, yada yada yada), but when something like this comes along, it may be appropriate if not too much is added. Though, I haven't been adding anything to the page, there are a one or two people that have been "guarding" it for a year or two, now, and I'm generally in support of what they've kept out and the little they've let in. Some of the inane stuff like someone listing just about every event that occurs in Lansing was smart to keep from being published.
  • Eli and Edythe Broad donated another $2 million dollars toward the project. Construction should be starting soon, I think I had seen February or early March.
  • The LSJ article yesterday said that they are supposed to break ground March 16th.
  • Thanks for the clarification.
  • I was just by the site, yesterday, and not only have they already broken ground, but it looks like they are already constructing the foundation. I was surprised to see how busy the site was.