Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum

Today five designs were unveiled for the new $26 million dollar Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum. The museum will be built at the current location of the Paolucci building near Grand River and Collingwood.

himmelblau.jpg

pederson.jpg

hadid.jpg

stout1.jpg

morphosis.jpg

Comments

• The designs are respectively attributed to:

1. COOP HIMME(L)BLAU
    2. Kohn Pederson Fox Associates PC
    3. Zaha Hadid Architects
    4. Randall Stout Architects Inc.
    5. Morphosis
  • I really can't make sense of the one by Hadid, the third one. It just doesn't look like a building, more like a decorative sidewalk. On the left side of the picture, you can see some height, but besides that it just doesn't look like a building from this angle.
  • edited July 2007
    I was really expecting something much more colorful from all of them. These are look rather bland. What's with all of the grey and concrete?

If I had to chose one it would be Morphosis (last one), as the height would actually make an impact. The others designs all look kind of timid.
  • Here is a link with a video at WILX where the architects personally explain their projects:

MSU Art Museum Designs Unveiled

It gives a bit more context to the discussion, and I do understand Hadid's design, now.
  • I like the last one best also, but the first one is alright too.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm leaning toward #5 or #2. I dig the slightly sub-ground-level entrance (or at least the appearance of), and the glassy whale shape of #2.

For any of them, they'll definitely stand out against that part of campus! In fact it's almost hard to picture them there, or how they'll be oriented.

I can't watch the video at work, so I'll check it out when I get home.
  • And honestly, what's with the squiggles drawn all over the rendering on #1. I mean, I realize these guys are trying to be avant-garde and modern, but come on... squiggles?
  • edited July 2007
    I really like #2. They say that at night, #2 will glow, so that could be really cool while walking down Grand River.
  • Mine = #1, It's fairly asthetically pleasing as long as it's not covered in what appears to be giant strings of spaghetti

#2 = An oversized bubble

#3 = The world's largest solar powered museum

#4 = Not too bad, but weird and waivy

#5 = Wayyyyyyyyyy to tall/overbearing
  • Is it just me, or is #4 a Gehry rip off? #3 is incomprehensible and unintelligible. I don't mind #1 or #5, but I like #2, especially if the lighting bit is true...