Marketplace

Comments

• I gotta get by there to see that. Looks good.

Does anyone know when the new Rivertrail along the west bank is going to open?
  • edited April 2013
    Well, I was by the site, today, and they have some machinery, on site. It looks like the demolition of the old parking lot is imminent. Demolition and excavation of the polluted soil should take two or three months according to the City Pulse. The scope of Market Place has been rolled back, though. It looks like there will only be two buildings instead of four with the first being constructed in two phases as demand warrants.
  • Do they have billboards up on site that show the updated site plan at all?
  • edited April 2013
    Nope. Not sure that they will. The website for the project still isn't even up, though, you can check out a rough computer rendering at the Gillespie Group website. I think it's an old rendering, though, because they are showing a six-story building, and from what I've heard, this new building is only going to be four-stories.
  • edited April 2013
    BTW, I'd seen a canopy constructed over where near the garbage bins are at the City Market, and the LSJ reported, today, that they are actually a two charging stations for electric cars, so quite a bit is going on, over here. Apparently, the BWL has dozens of these charging stations all around the city, but I haven't noticed any of them except these two. Perhaps, most of these were put in at private residences?
  • edited May 2013
    Okay, the prep work for Marketplace officially started, today. The parking lot is finally being torn up and they have it fenced off. There is also some Gillespie signage at Larch and Michigan advertising the lot, so that looks to be starting, soon. Finally good to see some large-scale new construction about to begin again after a few years of cooling off.
  • edited May 2013
    Well, this is quite disappointing:

Market Place Site Plan

There is nothing facing the major street, anymore. You've literally got a curb cut unto Cedar leading into a surface lot. If you're going to orient this development in any direction while keeping the surface lot, you stretch the structures along Cedar and Shiawassee; this doesn't make any sensse whatsoever. This is not how you build in and respect an urban environment; the way this thing is oriented looks like something that would do well in suburban Okemos.

EDIT: I just posted the photo link instead of linking the image.
  • Yeah, I agree, it really turns it's back to the riverfront and makes the playground back up to an office building :-/

On a side note, can you resize the image to a more manageable size?
  • The photo link isn't working at all for me.
  • I fixed the link, you can try again.