Marketplace

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I found the post that mentioned the timeline. Back in August, 2008, hood posted the development agreement to the forum.

It stated that:
    Commencement of Construction of the Mixed Use Buildings shall be no later than fifteen (15) months from Completion of Construction of the New City Market, and the Completion of Construction of the Mixed Use Buildings shall be no later than sixty (60) months from the Commencement of Construction of the Mixed Use Buildings.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for finding that. I guess it dependings on what they consider "completed." Technically, the market was opened in January of last year, which would leave three months to get this thing started. But, it "officially" opened in April.

Either way, I guess they weren't as far behind, or cutting it close, as I thought they were. I'd fogotten it was contingent upon completion of the market and not a set date.
  • edited March 2011
    A rendering and two different site plans for the Marketplace project:

This is what I'm pretty sure is the current rendering of Marketplace, 5 floors of residential over ground floor parking with a nice atrium-looking area joining the two phases. I pulled this from a Youtube video with Gillespie discussing Marketplace.)
    Marketplace.jpg

This is an aerial site plan from the same video. I assume this is the most up to date site plan
    Marketplace2.jpg

This is what I assume to be an older/alternate site plan I found on Studio Intrigue's website. It looks like the same first phase residential development but with an unattached office building in place of phase 2.
    264_MARKETPLACE.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    Nice find. Both of these are newer versions. The original plan for the site was an L shape that bend around the entire Cedar/Shiawassee corner. This one seems to leave a gap between phase one and two.

Either way, I like how they fleshed these two out. They are huge improvements over the sign they currently have up at the site. Does the video tell us what "Five" is going to be? I'd imagine it's a small parking garage with how many residents (and maybe officer workers and shoppers) that'll be at the site.

Again, I'm really liking the improvement to the plants. It seems they are still trying to feel out what the market is doing at the moment, because they've been saying from the beginning that they aren't exactly sure how much residential they want to build at the moment with the housing market still the way it is.
  • The video doesn't really offer any details on the project. It was just discussing the issue with the PLA the council was trying to impose on him.

Gillespie interview video
  • I am looking forward to seeing the development going forward. I will be in the area soon and will be interested in taking a look at the site.
  • They have put in the foundation for the new sculpture near City Market. I think it's supposed to be unveiled in a week or two.

DSCN0168-1.jpg
  • Inspiration

5732097204_f47acf3ed9_z.jpg

5732097200_d29ea8e0b8_z.jpg
  • It's nice to see more statues/significant markings along the river trail. Will this block the ice rink idea though? Maybe there will be a way to incorporate this into a future ice rink.
  • edited May 2011
    No, the proposed ice rink was to be built to the north of here; there isn't much room between the river and the River Trail, nor is the land solid enough at the bank to support something like a rink on that side of the trail. One of the biggest costs for the statue was figuring out how to build the base so as the sculpture wouldn't sink.

BTW, I had a thought the other day about just how awesome it would have been to have had this installed in the traffic circle at Four Corners (i.e. Michigan & Washington).