General Lansing Development

Comments

• Looks like theres one semi-interesting item in this weeks City Council agenda:

b. Setting a Public Hearing for July 23, 2007 in consideration of
    Brownfield Redevelopment Plan #32; filed by C&M Walker LLC for the former Melody Farms property located at 2218 W. Willow St.

Hopefully it means more jobs...
  • They said 9,000 people showed up for the chili cookout, myself included. The rivertrail was packed, and there was little room to move near some of the vendors. It would have been nice to see Lansing close down Washington Sq like they are doing for Blues on the Square and have the chili cookout in front of the businesses, instead of somewhere that there are no businesses to familiarize people with.
  • I was there too. I think you have a good idea, with holding the cookoff on the downtown streets. But I think they may need to utilize some of the sidestreets also. This year it would have been impossible with all the contruction, but maybe you could email the city to suggest that for next year.
  • edited June 2007
    It's called Down-by-the-river Chili Cook-off for a reason, and I'd hate to see them move it. That area is not utilized enough (riverfront promenade). It's been down there for years, and the river setting is great. The Blues on the Square is great because it utilizes the square, but not every event should be for, or is fit to be on, the square.
  • I was down there as well. My only complaint is that it would be nice if they could spread out a little more. The vendors down towards where the stage was were very crowded, which made it difficult to move from place to place. Other than that, I love it by the river. Another great chili cookoff!
  • edited June 2007
    It was being developed as a green project, regardless, but it looks like Printer's Row on Cherry Hill in southeast downtown have gotten their Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Homes (LEED) certification. And, it looks like only 2 units are left for sale. I hope this means they'll do more projects in the city.

Link

Printer's Row building lands green certification

The U.S. Green Building Council has certified one of the buildings in the downtown Printer's Row condominium project with its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Homes green building designation.

The building, at 223 E. St. Joseph St., is the first Lansing area project certified under the LEED for Homes pilot program. The council began testing the residential LEED program last year.
  • Check this out. The High-Tech SmartZone where TechSmith Headquarters is soon to rise got a big boost, yesterday, from a major grant that will make the land even more attractive to other potential developers. There is a matching grant for a total of $4 million for infrastructure upgrades for the site.

Lansing Wins $2 Million Federal Grant for High-Tech SmartZone
  • I'm still really courious about how their headquarters will look, it has the potential to be a really impressive suburban office building.
  • edited July 2007
    Christman is doing an excellent job in their renovation of the Mutual Building. It had never really deteriorated, but a nice cleaning and replacement of parts makes it look brand new, or should I say brand old. :)

750314008_fc134fa11e_o.jpg

Oh, and though it's been completed for quite some time, the Michigan Restaurant Association Building looks really nice, if even totally out of scale at its current location.

750314032_385965a274_o.jpg
  • I really like the brick on the restaurant association building. It looks old.