General East Lansing Development

Comments

• The city's requirements for senior citizen housing is their approach for expanded full time resident requirements. It was the only legal approach they could think of, outside of owner occupied condominiums which were built in City Center 1. Those condominiums haven't had the type of appreciation that many property buyers would look for and as such I don't think the market would support another condo project downtown right now.

• The Wilson Road extension project officially opened, today. It gives people an alternative to the Shaw Road entrance to the east end of campus:

• edited November 2018

Looking at the December 12th Planning Commission agenda in this week's City Pulse:

• The developer of Gaslight Village (6210 Abbot) wants to modify their site plan for this multi-phase development. While the main mixed-use building was the first to be built in 2006 (86 residential units, ground floor commercial and retail), the subsequent phases behind the building have mostly been stalled, so they are trying something different. They'd originally planned 29 single-family homes with 11 "granny flats" above the attached garagages. It appears that only 2 of these homes were ever built. I'd bet it was originally planned this way to compromise with city officials, who hate the development of student apartments. In any case, they want to modify the second phase to include 18 four-bedroom duplexes and build two more of the single-family homes. They also want the restriction removed on the former site plan that sought to keep students out by placing a minimum of two-year contracts for leases.

• The developer of 300 Grand wants to modify their special use permit to allow them to convert the retail space on the ground floor to six efficiency apartments. I imagine this must be only for the part of the building west of drive-thru, as the site is zoned B-2 which only allows multi-family residential with the principal commercial use. It makes me wonder, then, if Biggby ever got permission from the city council to stay open 24/7, which is an assurance they wanted for their planned moved to the drive-thru section of the ground floor? It's a bit disappointing they can't seem to get real retail to work here, but at least there is enough demand to fill the building regardless of use.

• Wow that is very interesting about Gaslight Village and it explains why the property has changed hands multiple times over the years. Hard to make money with those kinds of lease restrictions.
  • I complain about a lot of East Lansing's codes, but their overregulation of leases to keep out students is probably one of the worst aspects of the city government. It'd be hard to make two-year leases work across the border in Lansing, let alone a college town like East Lansing. What's crazy to me is that this is basically located at the beginning of the Northern Tier, which was specifically annexed so East Lansing could push students further out from town. So why put lease restrictions on that would push them even further up Abbot/Chandler?

• Yeah two year leases are hard for any city save for cities with rapidly increasing rent rates and no rent control.
  • While wanting a diverse community is a good goal, forcing these "anti-one group" restrictions seems unfair and not good for developers. There would not be much to East Lansing without those pesky students. Our building in Lansing offers nine-month leases that attract students who mix in with everyone else. I have never heard of a two-year lease for a rental anywhere, most landlords want to raise the rent every new lease year.

• I was implying the EL city council feels the students are pesky and need be regulated, I do not feel that way. It would be best if they let the market decide who rents and what gets built in EL. Also, as I am trying to do, look at East Lansing as a district of Greater Lansing. If you consider it that way the concentration of students in one small area of the overall city seems natural and not such a negative thing. I think to have a "College Town" as one of the downtowns we have in Greater Lansing is really a big plus.

• Hey all,

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Trowbridge and Harrison, next to the tracks? There is a old building there with a construction fence and dumpster set up. I've always thought that site, along with the adjacent abandoned QD site, would be ideal for a mixed-use apt. or hotel with a drive-through walgreens and starbucks on the first floow.

• edited November 2018

Short of tearing down most of the stuff to the east, there is basically no way there is enough room between the tracks and Trowbridge for anything as large as a hotel and everything associated with it (service driveway, parking, etc.) that would fit into East Lansing's zoning code without some variances. You're likely only to support small, single-use commercial buildings like what it already over there.

Anyway, I haven't seen anything on the city website or anything supported in the media. Though, sounds like they'll simply be reusing the existing building whoever it is. I thought there was an Asian market, there. How long ago did they move out?