General Lansing Development

Comments

• That is good news. Maybe something is going on inside, I still only see people going to the boxing gym there. It is a very interesting concept and I hope to see it underway soon.

• They've been working on it for months, now. It's a phased development.

• I hope to see the progress there soon.

• This weekend I noticed a pedestrian walkway protection scaffolding around the old Bank of Lansing building/Comerica Bank, on N. Washington at Michigan. I am hoping they put this up for some sort of renovation and not because of falling debris from the old building.

• Glad to see this spot filled in after Strange Matters moved across the street into a larger space. It's a very busy block, so it was never really a question about if the space would be filled but by who and when.

Bar Mitena, an eatery with Spanish influences, to open on Lansing's east side

• Yes to wine and tapas!

• Okay, what I'm beginning to think downtown Lansing needs, in order to be a viable downtown, which means a 24 hour downtown, amongst other things (performing arts center, grocery store, etc), is a 12-15-story residential mixed use tower - big and bulky like the ones going up in East Lansing. Developers need to take hint and go big. Downtown Lansing needs full-time residents! And right now, I don't care how much 3-4-story infill happens.....Lansing needs a shot in the veins. It needs a gutsy developer. How about the ones who built SkyVue at Frandor? That took a lot of courage and and it seems to have paid off. I appreciate these developers for just taking care of business and not making a big stink (I didn't follow the whole strike thing, granted). I thought it was unfair that it got eyesore of the year in the City Pulse. I think it was a breakthrough for the region and is the start of a totally new and improved Frandor. Though, at this point I'm rooting against the Red Cedar project happening. I'd still like the water work to happen but I'd rather preserve the golf course for a public park (county managed!) and force the development into frandor and the surface lots and underdeveloped sites surrounding the golf course. I think this would make for a MUCH better city and region moving forward. Curious what other people's thoughts are and apologies for the rant.

• This is so funny, because my opinion of the examples you gave are almost the exact opposite. I'm getting tired of the "big and bulky" trend in East Lansing, already. And in particular, I like SkyVue the less and less I see of it. I also very much want to see Red Cedar move forward. And some news on that, the city council is hiring extra lawyers to help guide it through the development, so it's happening.

I think in terms of the tone and type of development I want to see in downtown Lansing, I hope it's something much more sophisticated and refined than the stuff going up in East Lansing. I'd like to see thinner buildings. The two don't need to be competing for the same demographics, anyway, and I think it'll naturally work out that whatever goes up in Lansing will be more upscale attracting more established individuals.

A note, this isn't just a Lansing problem, and it should also be warned that it takes a long time for foot traffic to catch up to residential development even in more successful and bigger cities. I've heard complaints from people in much larger, denser cities of just how many residents it takes to support even a few thousand square feet of additional retail on the ground floor of a building. It may not feel like it on the streets, but I have no doubt that the Census in 2020 will show central Lansing having added hundreds (at least) of new residents since the last Census. That Meijer is moving in is evidence of the start of something self-sustaining about to happen.

The Gillespie Group will not be able to take us to the next level. I definitely do agree that we're going to need a gutsy developer, but sadly I don't think they will be an in-town developer. It's going to take someone on the outside to level us up. I'm getting a bit impatient, myself, but also appreciate the very real progress that's going on that is setting the stage for high-rises and a better selection of retail.

• I appreciate all improvements in downtown over the last 20 years. I think it looks great and a lot of important buildings have been refurbished and/or repurposed (as a sidenote, I'm surprised a restaurant hasn't opened up near the Accident Trust Fund....or any spin-off retail from there being such a large number of employees there. They should, along with LCC be able to support some retail of some sort! This end of downtown is so dead right now). .....So I think the City has built a good base -- the infrastructure's all there, there are great building and parks and public spaces -- It just needs people....and more retail and more residential options. And I'm talking about downtown proper, not east of the river or REO town.

So, imagine if Skyvue had been built in downtown Lansing. It would create an instant market and sustain a lot more life and activity in downtown.

But Mich, I'm with you in wanting to see better design all around for new construction in Lansing area and especially downtown Lansing.

• Two small but significant developments. First, newly elected Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin is opening an office in Lansing, and it will be at the newly refurbished (?) 1100 West Saginaw building next door to Sparrow's St. Lawrence campus on the westside. Kind of surprised she didn't choose a better neighborhood, but good on her for choosing the site.

After leaving the histoic Cooley-Haze House at Cooley Gardens awhile back and moving into the Meridian Mall, the Michigan Women's Historical Center and Hall of Fame is moving back downtown after a merger with a Detroit-area non-profit. It's a scaled down version, as it's moving into the basement of 105 West Allegan.