Center City (Landmark & Newman Lofts)

Comments

• edited February 2019

The views are something they sell, definitely. This has always been on their website:

• The Newman Lofts twitter account has a picture of them putting up the walls on the 10th and last floor. I'm fascinated by this construction:

• I find it interesting also. Skyview is the first building I've seen built that way, now it seems everything is going to be built like that.

• What's so fascinating about this construction? I don't get it. I'm also not seeing it live..... What is unusual about this? Is anyone on here a construction manager?

• It looks like they place a metal frame and fill it with cement to form the walls??

• edited February 2019

@MJ This type of construction is new to me. It is prefab wall and floor panels, the wall panels are essentially just heavy duty steel studs that act as the structural support. I've not seen what they do up close but I assume the panels are bolted together and the floors get concrete poured over them. These buildings are basically just really big stick built buildings with steel studs instead of wood, there's no big steel beams or concrete supports.

@gbdinlansing There's no concrete, the metal frame is the structural support for the building.

• As I've mentioned before, I work in the architecture and engineering field, and I can say that type of construction is not common, at least not in the Midwest. I recall a structural engineer going on about what an idiotic idea it is to use metal stud walls for structure. It's been done before but not that common.

Just to clarify, I can't tell from the photo, is there really no steel or concrete structure on the interior? Are there load bearing metal stud walls on the interior or is it just entirely open? I'm just curious myself on this.

• @Lymon89 Can you expand on why it's a bad idea? Is it a waste of money? Not as structurally sound? Something else?

• I personally haven't worked on a project that has done load bearing metal stud walls. The structural engineer I knew was mostly concerned about interior, load bearing metal stud walls since it's not such a common method. He was concerned that in the future, when a building is renovated a contractor would see a metal stud wall and simply assume it's not load bearing and potentially remove them as necessary for the new design. Of course, that's all speculation; in theory that situation should never happen.

I don't have anything against this method as I don't have much experience personally with it. I was just sharing what little I did know.

• @Lymon89 Just FYI, I'm not in the field nor have I been on site of one of these projects under construction but I have watched them closely and I've seen the up close pictures. I'm pretty much positive there is no heavy steel or concrete structure involved besides the first floor or two and the elevator shafts/stairwells. These things are literally supported the same way the 4-5 floor wood, stick-built buildings are supported, by the honeycomb of interior walls distributing the weight, sometimes built on top of a floor or two (or more) of heavier structure. The main difference being these seem to be prefab wall panels that are trucked in and fastened in place like Legos. I've been curious to see how heavy the gauge is on the steel studs, I'd imagine they have to be a lot heavier than the typical office ones.