Center City (Landmark & Newman Lofts)

Comments

• Maybe panels were the wrong term. The orange cladding that I noticed are long rectangular "board" like shapes. I was thinking they looked like a step up in quality from some of the other buildings with colorful claddings that have been built recently, in other words, it looks good.

• edited February 2019

Good progress pics from the Newman Lofts twitter account. This week they should get the walls of the top floor in place.

• Yep. Since this was from a week ago, they probably already have started on the last floor. Such a curious construction method, but I guess this is how all of these new buildings go up.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

This is a mammoth building. It's a little frightening, but I'm going to withhold judgment until it's complete. It will likely kill some of the afternoon sunlight in Ann St Plaza (as GB has been mentioning). But I'd like to think the extra influx of people (residents) and shops will make up for it. The parking garage portion of this building looks God-awful from this photo, though. Please tell me they have something else planned to make this facade look less like a prison ....??

• edited February 2019

• Oooh, surprisingly nice! I don't think I had seen these before, so thanks for posting. I love the green roof-scape. I'm really glad they have a cut-through on the street level, because this is a really long building/block. I think the street trees will help to soften this building. I hope they plant really nice, hearty trees (on the larger side) right off the bat.

• Whoa, I went and looked at the garage facade closer -- it's actually really nice! There's a subtle detail where some of the vertical windows are boxed out in pairs and it gives a nice asymmetrical rhythm along the length of the building. Is this same architect and developer as the one on GR, right behind it?

• Yes. Though two seperate buildings (Landmark on Grand River, and Newman Lofts), it's being designed and built as a complex, which is why there is one thread on this instead of two different ones.

• MJMJ
    edited February 2019

The Landmark has a great presence on Grand River. The scale works well, cropping up above the tree canopy with the two wings acting as arms, embracing campus.

• I was just talking to someone recently who has been on the top floor. He said the view of campus was absolutely incredible.