General Lansing Development

Comments

• Sears in Frandor looks to be closing finally. I was actually quite surprised on how long it took for this one to close. I really hope that this gets redeveloped into something nice, as Frandor is hugely popular, and I could see mixed use development thriving where the Sears footprint is now. I can't imagine that slice of land going for cheap though!

https://www.wlns.com/news/local-news/sears-closing-51-locations-including-in-lansing/
  • Whoa! I am actually surprised about this. I've been there many times, and it was my understanding that the frandor location was one of sears' better performers. I read somewhere in this thread or others that Gillespie owns that land, so there could very well be another hi rise going up in that area.
  • It's too bad they really wrecked that store with the last renovation whenever that was. The whole place looks like it is in a basement from the inside. Retail is tough these days but this sort of unraveling of the real department stores is about real estate and corporate consolidation that is not interested in the retail business at all. It's not just online shopping. The popularity of Frandor tells me people still like to go to an actual store for some fo their shopping. I am hoping they don't just let the building sit there and decay like it is now. I will miss this piece of old Lansing.
  • I was a fairly regular customer, but was waiting for the news to come for years; it was living on borrowed time. Being the most profitable Sears in Michigan is sort of like being Best in Show at a ugly dog competition. I will miss it.
  • I was downtown today and noticed the bar in the City Market building has vacated their space there and all of the City Market's "free" parking" spaces now have signs that say "M.P. Social parking only" all others towed. I thought that lot was city property. And what's with that name for a restaurant? IMO it's a little too "wanna be hip" and rather vague, MP what?
  • edited November 2019
    M.P. stands for Market Place. Did they sign a lease for the parking spots?

Gillespie mentioned in an article in the LSJ that Sears still has 10 years left on their lease. They may try to sublet or find someone to take over the lease. I hope we don't have to wait 10 years for a new building here.
  • edited November 2019
    Also depends on which parking lot we're talking about. The one to the north/east is actually part of the Market Place property; the lot to the south/west is city-owned. But like you said, Jared, even if it's the city lot, it's likely that they were leased out.
  • It is the lot that is between the apartment building[on the north east] and the City Market building that was free for market customers. I knew what M.P. stands for it just sounds like the name of a social club, not a restaurant. I think naming a business it should not be confusing or make people question what is it.
  • Yeah I agree. It doesn't sound like a restaurant or bar. I don't expect it to last long, the location is pretty hidden. Maybe they will move to the City Market building.
  • edited November 2019
    It seems to be doing just fine and I wish it continued success. The whole point is to start having truly mixed use buildings; this is convenient for the folks who live there. It's not meant to be a destination restaurant rather a place residents can come to have something quick to eat with family and friends without having to cook. I don't see why we'd be slagging a successful business over trivial personal annoyances.