New McLaren Greater Lansing MSU Hospital

Comments

• I noticed while driving by today that the concrete foundation is now being poured for what looks like the Medical Services Building on the north side of the hospital.
  • edited September 2020
    From the LSJ:

McLaren Health Care ups investment in new Lansing health campus to $600 million
    LANSING – McLaren Health Care is investing an additional $150 million into a new health campus in Lansing.

The new investment, which officials announced during a press conference Thursday, brings the total budget of the project to $600 million.

That makes the new campus the largest investment in the history of McLaren's health network, according to Kirk Ray, who heads McLaren Greater Lansing.

The campus is being developed on land purchased from the Michigan State University Foundation in its University Corporate Research Park, located between Collins Road and US 127.
    Ray said the new investment will go toward:
    • Adding two shells on the hospital floor for future expansion
    • Increasing the size of the Karmanos Cancer Institute on the site
    • Constructing larger patient rooms
    • Building an urgent care dedicated to oncology
    • Flexible care spaces

The campus will house the new McLaren Orthopedic Hospital, which will have 262 beds, according to new documents provided by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Thirty-eight of those will come from McLaren Greater Lansing, which will be licensed for 73 beds, according to a waiver and updated certificate of need.

Wait, so this isn't going to totally replace the Greenlawn Campus? it sounds like they are saying it's just replacing the orthopedia facility on South Penn, now, with a minimal reallocation of beds from the Greenlawn Campus.
  • I'm happy if it doesn't fully replace Greenlawn. I don't know what would happen to that part of town if the hospital were to close and leave a big vacant building in the middle of the neighborhood. It will be good to have some activity there to keep things in working order.
  • Yeah, I'm happy to hear this if plans have changed. Because there was a whole neighborhood task force announced when the new hospital was announced, because they were worried about trying to fill a large building built for a specific person in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

But I'm wondering if I'm crazy or just remembering events incorrectly, because I seem to remember there was a big worry about moving McLaren totally out of the Greenlawn campus for the new site in the tech park.
  • They were definitely at least alluding to the possibility of vacating the Greenlawn campus altogether, I don't think they were ever very clear on specific plans. It's certainly good to hear that that's not going to happen now and it seems to make good sense also, that would put the west side of the metro a lot further from an emergency room. I'd be surprised if one of the hospitals doesn't eventually open a west side location with an ER eventually, the beds from Greenlawn or St Lawrence could be reallocated there.
  • I believe there has been a hospital at the Greenlawn location for nearly 100 years so it would be a shame if they did vacate this campus. The new building is really impressive I noticed the new structure going up the other day, but I am happy to hear they won't be leaving their more central urban location altogether.
  • edited September 2020
    Finally got an updated rendering of this one, which has changed pretty significantly from the previous two:

c01_enlarged-smaller-1024x577.jpg
  • I see they added a sidewalk.
  • Wow very impressive! I wonder if there will be free parking? If so I'm switching from Sparrow! The views from 127 into Lansing with this huge hospital building the Red Cedar development and the Skyview Building will be looking pretty coming up from the south.
  • The only reason you have to pay at Sparrow is because it's a parking garage, and that helps pay back its construction. So, parking is going to be free at McLaren like most hospitals with their own surface lots.

BTW, something to remember is that Sparrow is locally headquartered so the taxes on business stay entirely within the area. McLaren is based in Flint.