General Lansing Development

Comments

• I think the Cedar Street school would be a likely redevelopment for someone like Gillespie to take on, I'm not sure what use would best fit that property though. As for Shiwassee & Cedar, if he can buy the block of buildings out, except maybe the city garage, there could be the opprotunity for something on the scale of Stadium District.
  • The Cedar Street School, FYI, is owned by Scott Gillespie of The Gillespie Co., not Pat Gillespie of Gillespie Group (who is behind Stadium District). They're brothers. Scott, who used to work with Pat, just finished his first solo project, the Lofts on Washington Square at the corner of Washington and Kzoo (from the Studio 109 salon to Contemporary Shoe Repair).
  • Oh, I didn't know the difference. But one thing I forgot to mention, Pat Gillespie is married to one of the Eyde's daughters according to another commercial realtor I talked too awhile back. Which explains how he entered into such large developments at a yound age. It also gives a shred of hope to some of the Eydes downtown properties, as the Eydes, apparently are getting ready to retire from the business. The question is whether they have people to take over for them, including Gillespie, or if they are trying to just sell off everything.
  • Thanks for the correction, jwswrites. I'm sure I wasn't the only one ever fooled by how close the names of the companies are, and the fact that they are brothers.
  • It's the fun of Lansing development. It seems like there are relatives of every major Lansing area developer who also are developers. And none of them really work together on the same project. The Eydes - George and Lou, of Eyde Co. (Knapp's building, Hannah Tech Center in EL); Sam and Sam Jr. of Sam Eyde Management (5/3 building on Coolidge in East Lansing, the infamous Seven Block Area office building long on the drawing board for the western fringe of downtown Lansing) and Mike (the original force behind Eastwood) - the Elliotts - Kris of Troppo fame, Shawn of Diamonds in the Rough - the Gillespies - the brothers Gentilozzi - Paul and Tony, who actually do work together - and the list goes on ...
  • edited July 2007
    I've noticed that, too, and have always wondered if even half of them joined together to do something huge downtown, how nice it would be. Between all of them, that's quite a bit of capital. Now, if there was only demand for such a thing(s)...

Story on Scott Gillespies project:

Downtown Lansing lofts ready for occupancy

Evening update

Jeremy W. Steele
    Lansing State Journal

Residents this weekend will begin moving into five of nine new loft apartments on downtown Lansing's main strip.

Developer Scott Gillespie turned the space above and behind four storefronts on the 300 block of South Washington Square into The Lofts on Washington Square.

The project was a first for Gillespie and his firm, The Gillespie Co. LLC. Gillespie's brother, Pat Gillespie, is developing the Stadium District building across from Oldsmobile Park.

Scott Gillespie bought the 17,000-square-foot building in December.

"I think everything worked out even a touch better than I hoped for," said Gillespie, who held an open house at the building on Wednesday.

Even though the project will only will house a few residents, Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero said it's these small projects that are building momentum for more downtown development.

For more on this story, read Wednesday's Lansing State Journal.
  • It appears that Richard Karp's development in Old Town (being kept under wraps) is moving forward. According to this weeks council agenda is appears he's been approved to elevate the site that he wants to build his 4-story RiverNorth project above the 100-year flood plain. It will be interesting to see how high the land ends up being elevated at this site.
  • An interesting item from todays council agenda:
    Transfer Ownership of 2006 Class C Licensed Business with Dance-Entertainment Permit, Located in escrow at 500 E. Grand River Ave., Lansing, MI 48906, Ingham County, from Temple Club LLC to 414 Entertainment, L.L.C.: and Transfer Location to 414 E. Michigan Ave., Lansing, MI 48933, Ingham County

Its the building that housed that small Oldmobile museum awhile back, next to Nuthouse. I've been hoping someone would open another bar/resturaunt in this building to help further bridge the gap between 621/Rum Runners and The Knight Cap/ Omars/ The Exchange. With Stadium Disrict also slated to have at least one, possibly two bars, Michigan Ave is shaping up to be a pretty nice entertainment district. Now I'd really like to see the old Mobile station razed for something new.
  • edited August 2007
    Woohoo!!

Lansing gets OK to sell parking ramp

Published August 7, 2007
    [ From LSJ.com ]

Evening update

Lansing voters gave city officials permission to sell the South Grand Avenue parking ramp, which developers want as part of a riverfront high-rise that will stretch up 12 to 20 stories.

The project, which would cost $30 million and be built on the site of the former City Club, would include 150 to 200 residential units that would be sold, as well as space for high-end dining, a health club and other services, the developers said.
  • I am suprised at how many housing developments are being planned/constructed in El and Lansing. Personally I have always been a city person and like to see a booming downtown. From what I have heard from a couple of my teachers is that downtown Lansing becomes somewhat of a ghost town after 5:30 p.m. With all these new condos and businesses the downtown area seems to be growing, hopefully it could be as popular as downtown Ann Arbor or GR. From what I have seen on the news (wilx) the mayor seems to be trying hard to revitalize downtown and all of Lansing. Every time a new business opens or anything similar to that the mayor is always in attendance with some comments.