General East Lansing Development

Comments

• TechSmith's official groundbreaking was a few days ago:

Do we have any renderings of this one?
  • I haven't seen any renderings or site plans, nor have I heard any details on the building. I'm not sure if they ever even said the square footage. Being a corporate headquarters, even a small one, I'd expect it to be fairly nice.
  • Dbusiness had an article on this one, yesterday, I see:
    Officials recently broke ground for the 62,500-square-foot, two-story building near the Michigan State University campus.

TechSmith800.jpg

Meh. Glad they are staying in the area, though.
  • I wonder how covid may have changed the building size/design with regards to work-from-home becoming more permanent for some percentage of employees or portion. I read that they're consolidating something like 5 buildings to one. I'm surprised this is only 62,000 sqft, was anticipating around 90k. I would have liked to see something taller.
  • edited July 2021
    Apparently, this first hit city staff in March 2020, when the company was going to do a presentation for them, but this is literally around the time of the shutdown order so the meeting was cancelled. Maybe that same month or slightly later TechSmith contacted the city telling them to put the whole thing on hold while they decided how the pandemic might chance plans. They officially came back to the city in November, and it's been moving foward ever since.

Honestly, I don't imagine they changed much. TechSmith isn't a particularly large company, and that they were building it were they were (a 5 acre plot) always implied a low-rise, campus-type building. Their building in the Corporate Research Park they proposed years ago wasn't going to be particularly large.

What I can tell from their November presentation is that they factored in revenue figures with work-from-home as the worst-case scenario, which tells me that they didn't expect this to be a long-term growth issue for them.

BTW, I'm not seeing any site plan submission in recent council records? Are they only moving dirt around at the moment?
  • It looks like this first floor of a taller building. Not too much saying "2021" there in this design, but not "that bad".
  • edited July 2021
    Yeah, it's a really simple mid-century modernist design. Here is an old office building in Muskegon that loosk very similar, yet dates from the 50's or 60's:

brunswick.jpg

And Flint City Hall completed in 1958:

flidome2.jpg
  • It's a nice looking low-slung design, if it's built well I certainly won't have any complaints. Well, besides wishing they'd of located in one of the downtowns.

@MichMatters When I made that post June 18 it looked like they were digging trenches for a foundation, if that was the foundation the building will be somewhat setback from the street but not too far, maybe 40-50 feet. I'd say in that rendering Harrison would be just barely out of view.
  • As it's on MSU property does it need to go before City Council? None of their other buildings do.
  • Good point. I forget whether TechSmith is buying the land or leasing it from the Foundation. The former would place them under city jurisdiction, the latter wouldn't.