General Lansing Development

Comments

• No arguments here, that building will get no love from me. I do hope the site is reserved for something more than a 4-5 floor wood frame apartment building though. I don't hate the concept for an entertainment venue along the lines of this or the Detroit Shipping Company or the BOB in GR, but I kinda hope this iteration doesn't work out so they don't make themselves at home in that building. I think something along those lines could work in this area but it'd have an easier go in downtown EL or the Frandor/Red Cedar area, at least until the day we have a light rail line down Michigan and at least have a shot at attracting sizable numbers of students to downtown Lansing.
  • Something called Strikeout Baseball is coming to Ferris Park courtesy of a local baseball player, John Smoltz.

https://www.fox47news.com/neighborhoods/downtown-old-town-reo-town/john-smoltz-strikeout-baseball-stadium-coming-to-ferris-park-in-lansing
  • I just saw this report. I had not heard of that version of baseball, but it seems to be a good idea especially with a famous player like John Smoltz involved it should be a first-class facility. It is great that this will be free.
  • I actually worked on that project, pro bono, years and years ago when I was at another firm. We never had much faith much would come of it, so I'm not sure how solid of a development it is, but it would be interesting if it came to fruition. Design and architecture firm must have changed over the years. It's been scaled down quite a bit.
  • @Lymon89 Was that the student greenhouse project or the baseball thing?
  • The baseball thing, sorry, should have clarified. It's definitely a unique idea and with the effort I'd put in, I'd always rooted for it to see what becomes of it. The guy was so passionate about it when I spoke with him.
  • @Lymon89 Yeah, when I was looking into the concept it looked like it was a local guy behind it and he's been at for awhile. It looks like he now has the backing of a well known multi-millionaire baseball player so at least this one iteration of it looks like it will happen. It's an interesting concept, very much in the same vain as the small soccer field also at that park, I do hope people use the facility and it would be cool to see the concept in general succeed.
  • The city council agenda for next week shows hearings for OPRA applications for the 1102 S Washington Ave (cool old REO Town gas station) and 224 S Washington Sq (former hookah lounge) downtown. Last I heard about the REO Town property was that it would be a mini food truck hub with indoor/outdoor seating and a bar like Little Fleet in Traverse City. I haven’t seen anything about 224 S Washington, but it would be great to get that building rehabbed and occupied.
  • I was looking at the 224 S Washington (former club X-cel) OPRA and they are planning a $400k renovation to make it into an entertainment space able to host up to 600 people. The most recent development and planning agenda has a little more on it but essentially they're just going over what they're doing for the interior renovation and that they will "remove the current failing materials overlaid on the east side facade of the building (Washington Square). In addition, we will install LED signage."

Also potentially big news toady involving GM, they're apparently applying for incentives on a potential $2.5 billion battery plant out at Delta Township. Sounds like nothing official yet, GM is fishing for incentives, but having a battery plant in the area would make sense since there are already two of their newest final assembly plants here. I'd tend to think that if local officials don't muck things up it should be a pretty easy decision for GM.

LSJ article- https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/10/general-motors-gm-new-battery-plant-lansing-delta-township/6464210001/?fbclid=IwAR3qO9BcAeJQtYEsjI34UC4iAGqEb5CkJ78GdDjy5_doybOSiidMvEVtGyM
  • City Pulse has an article with a bit more info on the proposal. The building would be 2.5 million square feet on 590 acres adjacent to the Delta Township plant, they're proposing 1700 permanent jobs and 1000 construction jobs.

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories/general-motors-to-build-25-billion-battery-plant-in-lansing,19211