General Lansing Development

Comments

• I wonder how the polling looks on this. It's obviously good for Lansing and the region, and probably good for the residents too...but stigmas are stubborn.
  • edited August 2022
    My feeling is that the mayor was behind this, so this wouldn't be brought unless they had polled on this behind the scenes, and it was favorable to them. The interviews in the City Pulse article, though, skew this as a hard sell, but that may have been selection bias.

Oh, and for the township, this is unequivocally bad for them. This section of the township produces more in taxes than it takes in services, so to lose something like that for a struggling township is bad. I feel it pushes other parts closer to asking for annexation, but that's only if voters are logical. As for the annexed territory, overall tax increase will be about 10 mills...which isn't a lot compared with other areas borering the city. And that also comes with new and better municipal services and tax predictability. It's definitely a short-term hit for long-term stability.
  • overall tax increase will be about 10 mills
    ah perfect, that's the part I wondered. So a thousand bucks a year on a $100k house for residents if they say yes. A lot may balk if they run the math, but I hope they accept it with full knowledge of the results. Like you said, long term stability; the townhip could easily assess the difference at any point to cover their shortfalls.
  • This is weird. The Board of Zoning Appeals packet and agenda are showing back up as having gone through instead of being listed as cancelled.
  • I'm happy it got reposted so I could see the other renderings and site plan, it was also good to see that they were recommending approval. I do hope they rebuild the trail under the bridge here and fix the pavement going west of N Grand River, it's pretty much in a state of abandonment as of now. Maybe this project can help jumpstart the trail extension to Waverly from here, fingers crossed.

I doubted them a bit just because where it's at but given the nature of this proposal and the out of town money seemingly involved I wonder if this ends up the sort of project that moves forward almost immediately once it jumps through all the regulatory and tax incentive hoops?
  • Looks like a very nice building and a step above the most recent apartments being built around town. Being located on the high north bank of the river this building will stand out in the skyline and will have great views in every direction.
  • I took a look at two projects the other day, the new apartment building on the REOTOWN sign site has some wooden framing starting, it looks like there will be no basement level. Over on Holmes Street the school renovation is progressing, it may have been noted before that the new windows are smaller than the old school room windows, but they are still quite large and are framed by some dark wood-like panels that look pretty good, adding a warm touch to all bricks. The streets are still a moonscape over there. It is one of those streets where I wonder why they only repaved two blocks of Hazel for instance, I know it's money that dictates these things, but some neighborhood streets are still so bad, the city really needs to address this problem.
  • LSJ is saying the Neogen expansion begins construction next months (with a Dec 2023 completion).
  • Very good to hear.

@MichMatters @Jared I was thinking... Should we get back into the habit of making more individual threads for projects?? I've noticed it's gotten sorta hard to look back on things and conversations in the general development threads get messy every once in a while.
  • @hood Yeah good call. I think that would be helpful. Especially if people want to post progress photos.